Re: [News] [Rival] Windopz "7" -- Not This Decade (Vista Or Nothing Until 2010 or Beyond!)

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 21 July 2007 13:22 : \____

> John Locke <john98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 07:04:01 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Oh. My. God. Vapourware tactics. Again.
>>>
>>> Next version of Windows: Call it 7
>>>
>> We need another OS from Microsoft like people in hell
>> need snow shoes. Here we go again..now you'll need 10 gig
>> of memory, a 15 GHz CPU and a video card with a water
>> cooler.
>>

> Indeed, although I suggest that the codename "7" is merely the serial
> number.  NT5 was Windows 2k, NT5.1 was WinXP, server 2003 was NT5.2,
> NT6 was Vista, so the next one would be NT7.
>
> The lack of a sexy codename suggests an air of realism mixed with the
> acceptance of defeat, or at least the very strong possibility of defeat,
> in the planning process.

This is the next version of Windows that will actually contain some substantial
changes. Vista had none, unless one counts 'features' like forensics,
media 'enablement' in disguise, and a new theme, which can be installed in XP
anyway. If 7 is delivered according to this prescribed timeline, then this
could be the first time in almost 10 years (!!) that Windows actually evolves.
It actually devolved with Vista, which is funny (unless you are a Windows
devotee, of course).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | McDonald's does to diet what Microsoft does to PC's
 19:05:01 up 35 days, 33 min,  5 users,  load average: 0.91, 0.87, 1.10