Re: [News] New Puppy Linux - destroys reviewers hard drive

> Review: Puppy Linux 2.16.1
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Puppy Linux comes as a light weight 90mb ISO that can be burned to a
> mini-cd
> | (210mb cd) and boots into a simple to use live cd session.  Bootup into
> the
> | live cd is quick and painless.
> `----
>
> http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=274

Why don't you call the article what it really was:

[QUOTE]
But this is only the live cd.  You need to install Puppy Linux to your
favorite media (usb, internal hard drive, etc) to begin your journey to the
full Puppy experience.  There are a number of different media you can
install Puppy to, but for the purpose of my testing, I installed it to the
hard drive since that's the destination most users will choose. \
The installer just "goes away" and you sort of guess that it's done based on
the lack of activity on the machine.  A bad idea in my opinion as it'll
likely confuse new users.

But once that's done you can safely reboot. Once this is done you simply
kick out the cd, then let it boot into all its hound dog glory, which isn't
much considering that it failed to boot the first couple of times.  In the
end I had to wipe the main drive with the partition editor found on a
freebsd install disk.  For all of its claims of being able to live side by
side with other Linux distributions, I found this somewhat disconcerting.
All it had succeeded in doing was destroying the test copy of PCLOS I had on
the machine, while failing to park itself comfortably beside it as it
claimed.  It might have been user issue on my part, but that's unlikely
given that I simply followed the instructions given to me and chose the most
preferred methods of installing.  But after I went and cleared the previous
partition with my Freebsd disk, Puppy was much happier and the second time I
ran the install it redid the partition as EXT3 and installed correctly.

Or at least I *thought* it did.  Upon restart I found the machine unbootable
again.  So I thought I'd try the USB pen drive option.  Still no success.  I
tried several more times using different media and even went through the
expert setup steps and it still wouldn't install to an external or internal
drive.  So, being the Linux geek that I am, I decided to go digging through
the help files, both online and off, to see what I could find out about this
problem.  Come to find out, Puppy had completely ignored my Nic and
completely refused to acknowledge that one even existed on my system!!
After numerous tries and lots of manual grub hacking I was still unable to
successfully get it to load the Nic driver or install to the internal drive.
I know others have said they've done it without flaw, but as much as I
tried, I couldn't get it to work.  So I finally packed it in and sent the
Puppy off to the kennel, so to speak.

I think that Puppy Linux is a good light weight Linux distribution,
especially for one started from scratch and not spawned from another
distribution, however I feel that it's got a bunch more growing to do, and
some rather bothersome bugs to fix.  Especially the installation system.  If
it could frustrate a Linux geek like myself (ok, I'm more a Freebsd geek
than a Linux geek, but I'm definitely no slouch at Linux) I know that it's
going to really frustrate a lot of less experienced users to no end.  So in
the end I give Puppy Linux a high score for its live cd (minus a few points
for the problems with the nic card), but a hugely failing grade for its
installer and installed version since both failed to properly do their job,
the latter failing to run at all.
[/QUOTE]