[News] Microsoft Blames Typo for False Promises (Vapourware Tactics?)

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Blames Typo for False Promises (Vapourware Tactics?)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 17:32:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Typo leads to Vista SP1 confusion

,----[ Quote ]
| News agencies and bloggers picked up on the post, prompting the WDK team to
| update the e-mail on Wednesday, saying that the original had featured a
| typographic error, and that the build available was for the upcoming Windows
| Server 2008.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6197767.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Related:

It is time to stop the spread of Vista SP1 misinformation!

,----[ Quote ]
| I agree. It is time to stop the misinformation, the bulk of which is coming
| from Microsoft right now.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=587

Microsoft: No Rush to Vista SP1

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/microsoft_no_rush_to_vista_sp1.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

,----[ Quote ]
| From nathanm Mon Oct 01 11:42:05 1990
| To: billg; bradsi;
| Subject: SPARC, MIPS & Compaq
| DateL Tue Oct 02, 22:57:14 1990
|
| [...]
|
| The purpose of announcing early like this is to freeze the market at the
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| OEM and ISV level. In this respect it is JUST like the original Windows
| announcement ..
|
| One might worry that this will help Sun because we will just have
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| vaporware, that people will stop buying 486 machines, that we will have
| ^^^^^^^^^
| endorsed RISC but not delivered .. So, Scott, do you really think you
| can fight that avalanche?
`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_0411_A.pdf

Imaginary Innovations

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, Intel and Motorola were especially vocal in promoting
| alliances with media brands that, a year later, have fizzled or
| haven't come to fruition at all.
|
| Last year, Microsoft pumped up the crowds about its URGE music
| service, which it created in conjunction with Viacom's MTV. But
| while MTV is just now beginning to promote the service, Microsoft
| seems to have moved on in favor of the Zune Marketplace and the
| potential of satellite TV on Media Center PCs and Xbox 360s.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/04/vaporware-ces-gadgets-tech-media-cx_rr_0105vaporware.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/y8fdkr

Vaporware '06: Return of the King

,----[ Quote ]
| 8. The "IPod Killer"
|
| Every time we hear about a new portable audio device, it's touted
| as the magic bullet that will end the iPod's reign once and for
| all.
|
| Oh, you mean that thing? The one with the ugly design and clunky
| user interface? Does it at least work with iTunes?
|
| Microsoft's Zune was supposed to do the trick, but it's sitting
| on the shelves (even the SanDisk Sansa is selling better than Zune)w
| hile the kids are all enjoying their freshly unwrapped, shiny new
| iPods.
|
| Note to everyone: It's a White Wire World. Get over it.
`----

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72350-1.html?tw=wn_story_page_next1

Microsoft Murders Max

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, it's official at any rate. Contrary to what you've heard, Windows
| Vista will not be shipping with any of the original technologies,
| features, capabilities, or subsystems originally promised (and for
| those of you that really couldn't tell: it's called sarcasm!). First
| it was the real Aero - complete visual control over one's system.
| Amazing graphics, sidebars that were a part of the Windows Core,
| Aero Diamond. Then it was NGSCB and its amazing security features
| - not DRM, but total privacy control; your privacy. Monad. Last
| we heard, it was WinFS, the king-pin feature that was promised
| to change the way you think of data... And now the last one is
| gone: Microsoft Max is dead.
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/277

Microsoft exec "guarantees" graphical superiority for 360 titles

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea of a "guarantee" of better-looking titles is substantially
| silly, however. Graphics quality is often subjective, and without a
| clear horsepower advantage of one system over the other, it will be
| difficult if not impossible to claim that titles on one system look better
| than those on another.

What Longhorn was supposed to be:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b9ifQvQCO7Y