[News] Inetrnet Explorer Users Denied Access to Web Sites

  • Subject: [News] Inetrnet Explorer Users Denied Access to Web Sites
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 17:14:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Addict: Internet Explorer blocked

,----[ Quote ]
| I've blocked Internet Explorer from viewing our front page and will implement
| that code on the rest of our site as we roll out the new format.
`----

http://www.openaddict.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5512

Ouch. I know Richard. He's not a zealot at all. He is just tried of a company
that deliberately corrupted and ignored standards.

HTML 5 Gets the go-ahead:

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/

HTML 5 : We don't need no XHTML

,----[ Comment: ]
| This is progress, because it's based more on reality than on the usual spacy
| navel-gazing that defines our standards. Netscape was the dominant browser,
| then it fell behind, and Microsoft IE took over and "ad hoc" implemented what
| it could and what corporate politics allowed.
`----

http://www.webforefront.com/archives/2007/07/html_5.html#more

Related:

Carrying Water for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Careless Web developers work tirelessly to maintain Redmond's dominance.
|
| [...]
|
| Fidelity's contractor didn't set out to build a website that would shut
| out Macintosh and Linux users. But by being lax with its choice of
| Web authoring technologies, that's exactly what it did.
`----

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/posts.aspx?id=17504&author=garfinkel

Funny Thing - M$

,----[ Quote ]
| Last night Joe and I got in this huge discussion, and I was cursing out
| Microsoft. It’s been rough the past couple of days and M$ has not been making
| my life very easy. Every time I turn around I have to ghetto-fy my web sites
| to make them work in IE…
|
| See… There are these things called Web Standards which were put into place to
| make web designer’s lives easier. As in, if they script to web standards,
| then all standards compliant browsers will show the site exactly correct.
| Well, I always script to web standards. The PROBLEM is that Microsoft decides
| that they are just going to do things THEIR way...
|
| [...]
|
| Besides the fact that all of the Microsoft employees I have ever encountered
| must have been brainwashed. I don’t know where they dig these people up.
|
| [...]
|
| And if they AREN’T brainwashing them, then they are just hiring incompetant,
| pompous dumbasses. And if either is the case, why should anyone support their
| company?
`----

http://www.camp-site.org/blog/?p=21

Why Microsoft Expression Web redefines irony

,----[ Quote ]
| Expression is Microsoft's suite of web development tools slated to
| replace the wonderful application known as Front Page. A quick visit
| to the site for this tool yields a fairly typical Microsoft webpage.
|
| [...]
|
| WHOA! Did they not even listen to their own marketing garbage? 144
| Errors! No DocType? Are you kidding me?
|
| [...]
|
| Bravo to our good friends at Microsoft for setting such a great example
| and leading the masses to a more standards compliant internet! (and
| for giving web standards geeks something to hate on).
`----

http://shifteleven.com/articles/2006/11/16/why-microsoft-expression-web-redefines-irony

Is Microsoft learning from Web standards mistakes?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Is-Microsoft-learning-from-Web-standards-mistakes-/0,130061733,339280240,00.htm

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/cc1ad063dcc0400d

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, this is absolutely devastating!  As near as I can tell, the poor
| guy at Microsoft has been trying to support open standards against
| management.  He doesn't say much about the history, i.e. the fact that
| Microsoft didn't do anything with IE until they were recently forced to
| by Firefox competition.   The feedback is amazing.  Example:
|
| Quote:
| -------------
| So if you believe that the reason for IE's lack of standards support is
| something other than malice of forethought to strangle other browsers,
| you are wrong. If you have followed the anti-trust trial you would have
| seen the actual evidence for these decisions. Microsoft is an
| anti-competitive company run by unethical shitheads.
|
| This won't change until the workforce is slashed and the entire company
| culture changes. Steve Ballmer is the king of the shitheads, so when he
| goes things might get better. But until then, expect MS to only do the
| absolute minimum to defuse the worst criticism. Remember my words:
| unethical shitheads.
| -------------
| End quote
|
| Erik cited this same guy's blog a few days ago to support the notion
| that Microsoft is dedicated to standards compliance and is doing the
| reasonable thing (I think that's why he cited it).  The way this story
| has developed, it shows exactly the opposite, and is very revealing
| about sentiments out there in the developer world.
`----

Who Questions Bill Gates' Commitment to Web Standards?

,----[ Quote ]
| (Gates:) "...we contributed more Web standards than anyone! We have our
| smartest people who go and work on that stuff . . . we just did the
| OpenOffice . . . our office XML formats we contributed to them . . . we've
| got XML at the core of all our products."
`----

http://www.molly.com/2006/12/14/who-questions-bill-gates-commitment-to-web-standards/

Microsoft does not want us to use IE

,----[ Quote ]
| Why else would the company release a new version of the browser with so
| many glaring and obvious incompatibilities with other browsers? Why else
| make it virtually impossible to visit any web site, without running
| against multiple warnings and blocks? Why else make it so difficult tot
| est existing and new versions of the browser, that you have to run a
| completely new OS image?
|
| Microsoft management must want people off of IE.
`----

http://burningbird.net/technology/trends/microsoft-does-not-want-us-to-use-ie/

Vista and British Library put da Vinci online

,----[ Quote ]
| The British Library has created an updated version of its application
| called "Turning the Pages" which allows people to browse parts of
| its 150 million piece collection via a web browser. We heard how
| this works better using Vista.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/

Former WaSP Interoperability Advocate Hired by Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The lady who in September 2005 called Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's
| claim in a BusinessWeek article that his company would eventually
| "win the Web" "deplorable in the light of what the Web means to the
| world, to users, to designers and developers and to put it into
| Microsoft parlance, customers," now finds herself working for him.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Former_WaSP_Interoperability_Advocate_Hired_by_Microsoft/1170263944

Perspective: Microsoft's amusing standards stance

,----[ Quote ]
| One fun thing to do in Web browsers is to check how well documents
| conform to standards. For example, you can pass the URL of
| Microsoft's letter to W3C's validator. Doing so reveals that
| the letter is not written according to the HTML specification.
| The validator finds 33 errors in the most lenient mode. (One of
| the errors is the use of the "layer" element. (The "layer" element?!)
|
| Microsoft--please--if you think standards are so important,
| why not start using them?
`----

http://news.com.com/2010-1013_3-6161285.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
| An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
| in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
| public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
| Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
| the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon forn
| etwork applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569

Software rivals say Microsoft's Vista illegal in Europe (at CNNMoney.com)

,----[ Excerpt ]

`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/international/bc.vista.microsoft.eu.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

,----[ Quote ]