Re: [News] Wal-mart to Sell Ubuntu GNU/Linux PCs!

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 21 July 2007 12:25 : \____

>> Wal-mart to offer low-cost Linux PC?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Wal-Mart will sell a sub-$300 "back-to-school" PC this fall pre-loaded with
>>| Microsoft Windows Vista and OpenOffice.org productivity software. The
>>| Everex GC3502 PC is based on a 1.7GHz Via C7-D processor, and will be
>>| available later this year preloaded with Ubuntu Linux.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6819255233.html
>>
>> Dell, Lenovo, Epson, Acer, Asus...
>>
>> H-P, Toshiba not confirmed yet...
>
> It would appear that 2007 will be a tipping-point year, the year at
> which major OEMs began to offer pre-loaded linux machines.  I wonder
> quite how they've got out of the Microsoft deals?

It's the cattle effect. Monkey see, monkey do. H-P and Wal-Mart, for example,
rely on Dell's assessment (and I mean studies which followed IdeaStorm, not
just a poll that might be gamed). Dell's further expansion (overseas and SMBs
as a target) can no longer hide the fact that Dell wishes to keep secret...
VAR Guy (Joe P) got a little leak from their staff... Linux sales are going
well for them amid times when Dell has financial problems. Linux is the escape
route and the road to better margins. They take control of the software which
they sell.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
Mem:    515500k total,   442688k used,    72812k free,     1856k buffers