[News] [OSS] Breaking GPL Myths: GPLv3 is Proprietary-tolerant, GPL is Enforcable

GPLv3 myth#2: You can't mix GPL software with other software

,----[ Quote ]
| Myth 2: You can't mix GPL software with other software.
|
| False. According to experts in open source licenses
| this is possible, especially with the wording in the
| latest GPLv3 draft.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=331

Just look at Red Hat's stack, which happily puts something like Oracle on
top. The whole "GPL is cancer" and "everything in contact must be GPL" is
the FUD which rellentlessly comes from Microsoft.

Enforcing the GPL...contract, license, or promissory estoppel?

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPL is enforceable, but not for the reasons
| (or, rather, not through the means) generally held.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/06/enforcing_the_g.html

Related:

German GPL defender claims legal victory

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source programmer Harald Welte said Thursday he won a civil court
| case in Germany centered on the General Public License (GPL). The license
| governs many open-source projects and permits anyone to use software
| covered by it, but requires that companies incorporating GPL software
| make the underlying source code available.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6113453.html?part=rss&tag=6113453&subj=news

Do Microsoft's EULAs have any real legal basis?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/25/microsoft_eula/