Re: [News] [Linux] NSA-free SELinux Has New Release; Red Hat Spinoff Boasts Simplifications

__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Thursday 07 June 2007 22:59 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Thursday 07 June 2007 19:24 \__

>>> It's very promising but still greatly underdeveloped compared to
>>> SELinux. There are Fedora kernels for those brave souls willing to test
>>> it, or a Debian-based LiveCD:
>>>
>>> http://livecd.rsbac.org/
>>>
>>> Also a number of distros use RSBAC, including Adamantix (Trusted
>>> Debian), Gentoo and quite surprisingly ... Mandriva.
>>>
>>> I'm a big fan of SELinux, but I have to say its US Government heritage
>>> makes me feel rather ... uneasy.
>>>
>>> It's good to have choice.
>>
>> Have you seen /that/ one?
>>
>> Tresys Nails 'Hardened Security' With Brickwall & Upcoming Razor
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "But SELinux contains tens of thousands of rules, written in
>> | assembly language. We make implementation easier by turning that
>> | spaghetti code into reference code," he said.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6365/1/
>>
>> I spotted that one paragraph a few months ago. Prior to that, people would
>> argue that NSA's involvement in SELinux imposes no dangers because the
>> code is out there to view and analyse. But assembly? I mean, come on...
>>

> Yes. Where is the problem?
> Assembly code is about as easy/difficult to read as C-code
> Granted, there are not as many people who /can/ read it, compared to C/C++
> But that does not mean that there are none
>
>> Who are they kidding? From the land where wiretapping is as acceptable as
>> opening one's private snail mail...
>>

> You think there would not be several knowledgeable assembly programmers out
> there who are eager to find a "smoking gun" in that code?

I did wonder about this. Thanks for clarifying.

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Surely, Microsoft has given up on altruism in the IT industry
Mem:    514480k total,   484408k used,    30072k free,     8016k buffers