[News] [OSS] Novell Corrupts Free Software Values/Spirit; Affero GPLv3 Draft Released

Novell's "Mixed Source" Announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| This whole Novell-Microsoft saga to me was kind of like a hostile
| takeover of GPL code, or an attempt at it, to neuter it so as to
| make that code go more proprietary whether it wants to or not.
| Folks who like the proprietary ways better and didn't much like
| the GPL, or don't understand its value, thought the license
| doesn't mean what it says or that they could get cute with it
| and make oodles and boodles of money by selling code that
| belongs to other people in ways those authors told them in
| their license they don't like.
|
| Well, the GPL does mean what it says. And if you steal the
| Golden Egg and in so doing kill the Golden Goose that laid
| it, what have you accomplished? The development method that
| makes the code so much better is the Golden Goose, and the
| GPL is central to the health of that Goose. I suppose that
| is why Microsoft wants to get it neutered or eaten for
| dinner, but why would anyone else help them, particularly
| someone selling or wanting to buy Linux? You cut off your
| own future, or make it subject to Microsoft's whims.

Affero GPLv3 discussion draft released

,----[ Quote ]
| The original Affero GPL was an attempt to address the network
| loophole -- where a party might modify GPLed software that provides
| services over a network, but not contribute changes because the
| program is not being "distributed" in the typical sense of the word.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/06/06/2051251&from=rss

Related:

FSF issues 'last-call' GPLv3, encourages adoption

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation has released the fourth or "last-call"
| draft of the third version of its GNU general public license, set a
| date for its official publication, and laid out reasons why the free
| and open source software community should adopt GPLv3 sooner rather
| than later.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070531/tc_infoworld/88999

Microsoft Would Lose Patent Rights Under New Linux License Terms

,----[ Quote ]
| The final draft of GPLv3 states that companies that distribute
| open-source software cannot at the same time pursue patent claims
| against users of that software.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199800081

Eben Moglen: GPLv3 not about MS and Novell (video)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/17/1616214&from=rss