[News] [Linux] Linux Hardware Compatibility Becomes a Thing of the Past

The Linux Hardware Puzzle

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux and Solaris hardware support has improved a great deal since
| Phoronix started out in 2004, but still we frequently come across
| motherboards and other system components that face compatibility
| issues. If the device doesn't work for the user they are then
| forced to wait for the support or try different configurations,
| attempt to return or exchange the product, or bite the bullet at a loss.
|
| What we also have available today are more computers that ship
| with Linux pre-installed. There are a variety of smaller companies
| such as LIX Systems, Mad Tux, and System76 that ship desktops and
| notebooks with various flavors of Linux. Most recently Dell had
| announced three Ubuntu PCs. While Dell now has one notebook and
| two desktop computers for sale in the United States with Ubuntu
| 7.04, there's much room for improvement in this area. Each step
| counts, but the leap will come when Linux is shipped by tier-one
| manufacturers on the same day as new Microsoft Windows PCs.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=738&num=1

Another look at Dell's Linux (with photos):

A Dell/Ubuntu Laptop - Right out of the box

,----[ Quote ]
| I was a bit (pleasantly) surprised to find no evidence of any
| 3rd party software added in, other than the drivers. I'm sure
| once people get word of how cool this is and flood Dell with
| orders, the 3rd parties will make an appearance.
|
| I think I went from cutting open the box to logging in within
| about 8 minutes (including all the photo taking!) Nice work
| Dell and Canonical!
`----

http://www.bryceharrington.org/Photos/DellUbuntu/

Maybe that's the type of reviews that makes Microsoft cripple Dell's Linux
offers. No dead duck will go down without a fight...

[Interview] Andy Ritger, Director of Unix Software at NVIDIA

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.abclinuxu.cz/clanky/rozhovory/andy-ritger-nvidia?page=1