Re: Microsoft are having a PS2 moment

__/ [ William Poaster ] on Tuesday 05 June 2007 11:46 \__

> It was on, or about,  Tue, 05 Jun 2007 06:49:29 +0000, that alt wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 20:45:22 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

>>> So your contention would be that none of the following are good
>>> engineers?
>>>
>>>    Gordon Bell
>>>    Jim Blinn
>>>    Jim Kajiya
>>>    Michael H. Freedman
>>>    Tony Hoare
>>>    John Platt
>>>    Michael F. Cohen
>>>    Peter Montgomery
>>>

>> My contention (Because I horribly worded my original post) is that their
>> current pool of engineers cannot possibly hold up the entire company.
>
> Rather like an inverted pyramid, standing on it's apex rather than it's
> base.....

The good people leave...

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows
Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| "With Alchin retiring, MarkL and MarkZ, two of the most talented
| architects in MS already having left, the picture gets really
| ugly for the Windows division," my friend claimed, and the BV's
| core team members, Ian McDonald, Jack Mayo, Todd Wanke, Clyde
| Rodriguez and others are starting to connect the dots.
|
| [...]
|
| He concluded ominously. "A trainwreck of biblical proportions looms.
| Pick a good seat on the sidelines, trainwrecks this large take
| awhile to complete. Vista may be the last MS OS for some time to
| come, especially if Cutler decides to play hardball."
`----

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/09/11/ms-insider-the-office-crew-isnt-smart-enough-to-supplant-real-windows-developers/
http://tinyurl.com/35eqrt

The less talented join in...

,----[ Quote ]
| The only way Microsoft has managed to hire so many people
| has been by lowering their hiring standards significantly...

                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz     | GPL - Global Programmer's Law
Mem:    514480k total,   483488k used,    30992k free,     4924k buffers