Re: [Opinion] Much Ado About Microsoft's Surface Computer

__/ [ spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Monday 04 June 2007 12:27 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>>> Can't. Linus holds the trademark on linux.
>>> Oh, they could TRY, but they'd be slapped down pretty hard.
>
>> What about Rosch?
>
>> http://www.waschmittel.com/?id=1142
>
>> W00t. Nice front page, but I don't see their "Linux" detergent.
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark#Fundamental_concepts
>
> Yes, and?
> Trademarks are usually restricted to spheres of influence.
> Linux is a computer software trademark, if someone tried to use linux in a
> way disagreeable to linus related to software and probably computer
> hardware... he could slap them down.
>
> If someone tried to use Linux in a detergent related field, Rosch could
> slap them down.
>
> But if Rosch suddenly decided to slap down linus for his Linux. They'd be
> laughed out of court.

Well, I at least hope that Rosch makes a fine product (so that Linux won't
get a bad name). There's also the MicroSoft softener. The name is probably
enough to make most Europeans avoid it...

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"