Re: [News] [Linux] Moving to Linux, Wiping Windows for Good

__/ [ John Locke ] on Sunday 03 June 2007 16:21 \__

> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:28:20 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Ubuntu's Feisty
>
>>| This evening I took the big plunge: I completely wiped Microsoft
>>| Windows XP off my 2003 Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop and made it an
>>| Ubuntu linux only machine. Goodbye Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates!
>>| Goodbye! Hello Feisty Fawn, Hello!
>
> Well this sounds good but I wouldn't encourage anyone to simply
> wipe off their OS.  How about a dual boot, spare machine or at least
> image the active partition.
>
> I think the move to Linux for most users needs to be a transitional
> process. Just dumping XP might leave some end users in a big
> bind.

Yes, impulse leads to wrong impressions because there's no safety net. Too
much, too fast.

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 129 total,   1 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie