[News] [Linux] Novell Denies That GPLv3 Cuts It, But Microsoft Penalised for Certain

GPL 'Last Call Draft' Removes Language Threatening to Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| The provision to which Stallman refers now reads thus: "If, pursuant
| to or in connection with a single transaction or arrangement, you
| convey, or propagate by procuring conveyance of, a covered work,
| and grant a patent license providing freedom to some of the parties
| receiving the covered work authorizing them to use, propagate,
| modify or convey a specific copy of the covered work to any of
| the parties receiving the covered work, then the patent license
| you grant is automatically extended to all recipients of the
| covered work and works based on it."
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/GPL_Last_Call_Draft_Removes_Language_Threatening_to_Novell/1180713402

Here's where Novell denies being worried:

http://www.novell.com/prblogs/?p=345

FSF publishes 'last call' draft of GPLv3; looks good for Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPLv3--you know the one that's a big risk to the
| Microsoft-Novell pact?has been tweaked to incorporate feedback
| and address license compatibility. Overall though the latest GPL
| (blog focus, all news and Techmeme) looks good for Novell.
| eWeek's Peter Galli concluded that the latest GPL preserves
| Novell's Microsoft deal.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=5242

It's still hard to know whose word to take. And well, well, well... guess who
has joined Digg.com? Our old friend Rob IShill4M$ Enderle. He links to the
following (probably with a malicious smirk):

What happens to Novell, post Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=5221