Re: [OSS] Microsoft Puppet Analyst Sees Significant FOSS Growth

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Friday 01 June 2007 02:05 \__

> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 31 May 2007 23:45 \__
>
>> On May 31, 3:07 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>> Worldwide Revenue from Standalone Open Source Software Will Grow 26% to
>>> Reach $5.8 Billion by 2011, IDC Research Indicates
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>
>> Well they're lowballing it, if they say there will only be 26% growth
>> in 4 years, that's like 6% a year.  I'll wager it will be a lot more
>> than that.
>
> Indeed. Just as an example:
>
> 2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Analysts note that Linux vendors are traditionally present on the mobile
> | device market. According to forecasts the OS might become the leader in
> | the segment accounting for 40% of it by 2010. ?Currently the share of
> | mobile devices with Linux OS is not big in Russia as compared to other
> | countries, such as China, for instance. However, the producer's policy,
> | Nokia in particular testifies to the fact the situation is changing
> | for the better", Ms. Karaeva concluded.
> `----
>
> http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/05/15/249978
>

> China Linux Market Will Grow at Annual Rate of 34%, Says R&M
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | It is predicted that in China, Linux market (both server and client)
> | will grow with an annual rate of 34 %. The client-side share growth
> | will be comparatively faster.
> `----
>
> http://eb-asia.com/article.asp?id=7528
>
> You know which people IDC analysts have their lunch with. As I said, while
> all analysts consistently predict that Linux will dominate smartphones and
> Windows will go nowhere, IDC contrast this view. When it comes to servers,
> there's bias as well. I also suspect that the following antitrust exhibit
> came from IDC (maybe a quick look at the PDF will confirm this):
>
> ,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
> | "(Microsoft manager:) I don't like the fact that the report show us
> | losing on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show
> | us losing on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't
> | like the fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows
> | .net server."
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
> | don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't
> | like competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it doesn't
> | mention that we sponsored it."
> `----

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

Clarification:

>From another URL:

"* Worldwide revenue from standalone open source software reached $1.8
billion in 2006.
* This revenue will reach $5.8 billion in 2011, representing a compound
annual growth rate (CAGR) of 26% from 2006 to 2011."

So that's the /annual/ growth rate they predict.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S