Re: [News] [Linux] Eben Moglen Advises That Novell/Microsoft Eliminate Patent-related Parts of Their Deal

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 01 June 2007 05:27 \__

>> Eben Moglen: MS should remove patents from Novell agreement (video)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In this segment of our week-long series of video excerpts from our
>> | interview with Professor Eben Moglen at last week's Red Hat Summit
>> | in San Diego, he explains why it could be disastrous for Microsoft
>> | to continue the patent aggression that is part of their Novell
>> | agreement.
>> `----
>>
>> http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/17/1640207&tid=41&tid=12
>
> Brief and to the point.
>
> The upshot is, that ironically the IP that Microsoft sought to (further)
> protect with assurances from Novell, will be exactly the same IP that
> becomes exposed (read: threatened) to the license requirements of GPL3.
>
> Of course that's putting it rather euphemistically. The *real*
> motivation was to produce "The SCO effect", but it looks like that
> strategy will seriously backfire, unless MS retreat from their very
> exposed position.
>
> Interesting times.

That bad story is history. Here's the latest:

Microsoft Would Lose Patent Rights Under New Linux License Terms

,----[ Quote ]
| The final draft of GPLv3 states that companies that distribute
| open-source software cannot at the same time pursue patent claims
| against users of that software.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199800081

I am astounded (and at the same time very vexed) to find that Reuters is
still shilling for Microsoft by publishing lies and using anti-FSF messages.
The mainstream media has become utterly *DISGUSTING*.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Gas, brake, honk! Honk, honk, punch! Gas, gas!
Mem:    514480k total,   484516k used,    29964k free,     5152k buffers