[News] [Rival] Microsoft Killed Mac Application, Then Provided Deliberately Poor Linux Support

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Killed Mac Application, Then Provided Deliberately Poor Linux Support
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:41:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux On Virtual PC

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has not improved on Virtual PC, since aquiring Connectix, and
| worst of all they killed another great application on the Mac platform.
`----

http://www.webkeydesign.com/178/linux-on-virtual-pc/

They still try to discriminate against Linux distros that do not pay 'Microsoft
tax'. Photsynth is another example where Microsoft killed a Linux application
and completely eliminated Linux support.

Related:

First Fruit of Novell’s (Known) Microsoft Patent License?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, will we be able to see these Virtual Machine Drivers for Windows on Xen
| available to other distributions and the overall community without veiled
| patent threats? Or, is it virtualization and interoperability only for those
| willing to pay a patent tax? Early reports indicated that the MS drivers will
| be under a proprietary license.
`----

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/06/19/first-fruit-of-novells-known-microsoft-patent-license/

Photosynth for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the demonstration video of Photo Tourism which was later
| transformed into Microsoft Photosynth (Wikipedia). Now, you'll find
| it difficult to disagree with me when I say this is a great product.
| It just has that "cool factor".
|
| However, the Photosynth website says at the system requirements: Only
| Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista RC1 or later are supported at this
| time. However, the video I showed above clearly shows it running on
| Linux (take a look at the titlebar of the web browser or the "add
| annotation dialog"). This could mean two things:
|
|    1. Microsoft deliberately decided not to support Linux
|    2. Microsoft may still want to make this available for Linux
`----

http://xubuntublog.wordpress.com/2007/03/02/photosynth-for-linux/SysInternals

A developer confirmed that it's (1). They are just unethical.