Re: [News] Is Google Becoming More Like Microsoft (in a Bad Way)?

____/ BearItAll on Tuesday 19 June 2007 11:50 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Google gets into politics
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | As Google gets bigger and the pots of cash grow, so the firm needs
>> | to increase its political influence. As it buys up companies from
>> | around the world and integrates them into its machine, its activities
>> | are bound to attract the close eye of Washington, and a public
>> | policy department is sure to serve as a focus for 'interaction'
>> | between Google and the government.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40392
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> Google to recruit a bevy of Europeans lobbyists
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Google, the search engine heavyweight, is no longer prepared to
>> | stay out of the business of fashioning the political environment
>> | for decisions made in Europe. For lobbying work on its behalf the
>> | company is at present searching in numerous large European cities
>> | for politics-savvy lawyers; one such "European Policy Counsel"
>> | position will be available in Hamburg/Berlin.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/87158/from/rss09
>>

>> Privacy International demands apology from Google over smear campaign
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Privacy International has accused Google of embarking upon a smear
>> | campaign within the media to discredit both PI and a report, to be
>> | published in full later in the year, which ranks the privacy
>> | performance of the top Internet service companies.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | The Google response should be interesting, to say the least. Expect
>> | this one to run and run, up to and beyond the date in September
>> | when that final report is published...
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry1491.html
>

> Someone has success and some in Linux world jumps on them, tears them apart
> and kicks them in the short and curlys.

I think the only one tearing them apart (or at least trying) is Microsoft
because they can't make a buck off them, let alone control what (proprietary)
code they use. More ironically, Microsoft pays Google a lot of money to run
these Linux slander attacks.

> When someone else comes up with a set of services and applications that are
> as good as Google's are, then they can take over, it will be a natural
> order of things, if it's better people will take to it and use that instead
> of Google. In the meantime what is wrong with Google earning a few bob?
> That money was never coming your way anyway so does it really matter who
> has it.

They attracted excellent engineers because of their good search engine. In
order to keep them occupied (and avoid 'unrest') they let them build other
great projects. eBay had the same dilemma, as pointed out by Joel Spolsky last
year. What do you do with the engineers when the work is done? You must
expand.

> That OS they are writting wont be cheap, two years so far and then three
> years before we are expected to see anything. That development costs a
> great deal of money, 5 years of I don't know how many developers wages to
> pay, with potentially no rewards, because who knows at this point if it
> will be a success, it's a risk. We mustn't stamp on people willing to take
> such risks. It is the only way that things move forward at all.
>
> All the other development work Google has done, it must be a very good team
> of developers because much of what they do is very popular, they must have
> a good insight into what people want before they actually want it. Good
> developers don't come cheap.

On the other hand, many good developers are cheap...

...But they also have a passion for what they do.

> I am more than happy for Mr Google to have a 200 foot fishing yaght, he is
> investing money in the future of computing. Not the only future, but one of
> the probabilities.

Ah! The yacht again. It's a recurring theme. :-) Carry on with this and Mr.
Ellison will start lurking in COLA.

> I would also like a 200 foot fishing yaght, but so long as Mr Google is
> willing to let me use his for fishing off Whitby, then I'm more than happy
> to let him ten year old car, it's a great car that has character, you have
> to bash the dashboard to make the windscreen wipers work, then every so
> often one of the wipers falls off.

Didn't Brin live (or buy) in dorms for many years and drove a small Japanese
car until a couple of years ago (he probably still does)? Just like
Shuttleworth, those two (Brin and Page) are average students that turned into
mil/billionaires. They all used Linux.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    chmod a-r *.mbox
Mem:    515500k total,   444724k used,    70776k free,     4336k buffers