[News] [Rival] Windows Sites in Italy Hijacked, Turn Windows Visitors to Zombies

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Sites in Italy Hijacked, Turn Windows Visitors to Zombies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 04:06:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Web site attack hits Italy tourism sites

,----[ Quote ]
| In an Internet attack dubbed "The Italian Job," several thousand
| Italian tourism Web sites have been infected by software that quietly
| gains control of computers visiting them and seeks out confidential
| financial data, a computer security firm said on Monday.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070618/wr_nm/internet_security_italy_dc

The sites I have looked at run Windows/IIS. They will create some more Windows
zombies that can be used to send SPAM and launch DDOS attacks.

Related:

Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

,----[ Quote ]
| In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
| average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
| could find it here.
|
| Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
| because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
| real digital inequities in the world.

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/