[News] [Rival] Will Britain Be Next to Shut the Door on Forced Microsoft Purchases?

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Will Britain Be Next to Shut the Door on Forced Microsoft Purchases?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:59:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Paying for software you can’t use – is Microsoft really good for schools?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/06/paying_for_soft.html

>From offline discussions, I am aware that action will be taken here in the
UK to put an end to it as well.

Related:

Microsoft bows to complaint from Linpro

,----[ Quote ]
| Schools will no longer be subjected to Windows licensing for Linux or Mac
| computers. Furthermore, Microsoft has accepted to discontinue their
| commercial bundling which required schools to buy several Microsoft
| products to obtain discounts.
`----

http://www.linpro.no/en/nyheter_og_events/2007/linpro_vant_frem_mot_microsoft

Open source software - A key element in Norwegian ICT-strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Last but not least we will evaluate how to promote knowledge and training
| in open source software in further education. And we will collaborate on
| improved educational courses on this subject at college and university
| level.
`----

http://www.regjeringen.no/nb/dep/fad/dep/Fornyings-_og_administrasjonsminister/taler_artikler/2007/eZ-Conference---Awards.html?id=471985

Local Authorities avoid Becta framework as Europe opens investigation

,----[ Quote ]
| Local Authorities are avoiding the use of Becta's framework
| procurement for Learning Platforms, while the European
| Commission has formally registered Alpha Learning's
| complaint that the framework failed to comply with
| European regulations for public procurement.
`----

http://www.publictechnology.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=9549

Related:

Becta's schools software scheme reported to EC

,----[ Quote ]
| An advisor to Becta, the education technology quango, has complained
| to the European Commission about its procurement process for firms
| to provide online learning platforms and content to British schools.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/08/becta_ec_complaint/

OSC joins criticism of UK education's attitude to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source Consortium president, Mark Taylor, has been in contact to
| voice its opinion on the controversy surrounding Becta's purchasing
| frameworks and the adoption of open source adoption in UK schools.
|
| In short, it doesn't make happy reading for Becta. "The essence of
| our concern is that they're saying one thing and actually pursuing
| policies that are exclusive," he said. "Becta's own research shows there
| are major benefits [with open source], however the reality of the
| framework is that it excludes both products and services."
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/osc_joins_criti.html

Tories want open source Whitehall

,----[ Quote ]
| The government could save more than £600 million a year if it used more
| open source software, the shadow chancellor has estimated.
|
| George Osborne said the savings would cut 5% off Whitehall's annual IT
| bill.
|
| He called for a more "level playing field" for all software companies, and
| urged "cultural change" in government.

UK Government criticised for stifling open source in schools

,----[ Quote ]
| MP Pugh reckons shcools should support independent or open source
| software firms. He says, "In my experience a school is a key part
| of the community and as such has a role to play in the economy of
| that community. By supporting SMEs the local high-technology
| industry will be encouraged which will benefit everyone."

Becta under fire for procurement framework

,----[ Quote ]
| Nineteen MPs have accused a government agency of restricting the
| procurement of software in schools.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/29/becta_procurement_criticised/

MPs criticise government roadblocks to Open Source adoption in schools

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=220