[News] [Linux] Major Setback for Microsoft in Norway, Channel Lockin Lost

  • Subject: [News] [Linux] Major Setback for Microsoft in Norway, Channel Lockin Lost
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:01:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft bows to complaint from Linpro

,----[ Quote ]
| Schools will no longer be subjected to Windows licensing for Linux or Mac
| computers. Furthermore, Microsoft has accepted to discontinue their
| commercial bundling which required schools to buy several Microsoft
| products to obtain discounts.
`----

http://www.linpro.no/en/nyheter_og_events/2007/linpro_vant_frem_mot_microsoft

Cartoon on losing the OEM channel grip...

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20070617&mode=classic

Related:

WEEE directive threatens Microsoft OEM sales

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a possibility Microsoft may well dump the OEM scheme and that
| could prompt small firms that don't want to be WEEEing to install Linux
| or even pirate OSes.

Intensified Battle Lines

,----[ Quote ]
| Some years back Open Source Industry Australia (OSIA) spokesperson
| Steven D'Aprano had posed a most intriguing question, "If Microsoft
| has a problem with piracy, it shouldn't be blamed on OEMs who sell
| PCs with Linux pre-installed or no operating system at all. Should
| we discourage supermarkets from selling plain bread, because
| shoppers might steal butter from elsewhere?"
|
| [...]
|
| For long now a tag has been associated with Linux. Industry players
| and resellers say Linux has become a smart, official, cheap and
| convenient form of piracy. The charge, is however, outrightly
| rejected by the Linux vendors.
|
| At their end, open source vendors will not miss an opportunity to
| assert that anyone who has benefited out of piracy is the
| proprietary vendors, like Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| Partners are already moving close to Linux vendors for various
| reasons. The days to come will, therefore, offer interesting
| battle lines unfolding between MS and open source players.
`----

http://www.channeltimes.com/India/Columns/Intensified_Battle_Lines/551-80562-751.html

Treachery In The Trenches

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe that most people do not grasp the immense entity of Microsoft.
| This is an organization and a man who commands the attention and bidding
| of world leaders. On a recent trip to America, the President of China
| spent his first evening in the United States, not with our President,
| but Bill Gates. He was the guest of the Gates mansion that first
| evening and the guest of honor for a dinner attended by over one
| hundred people. Why? To ask him to crack down on Software piracy
| and to insure that his computer manufacturers put Microsoft Windows
| on thier newly made machines instead of shipping them with no OS. He
| didn't see the President of the United States for over 36 hours...he
| spent that time with Bill Gates at his home and at the Redmond
| Campus.
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/88-Treachery-In-The-Trenches.html

A Virtual Open Source Center to Nordic Countries

,----[ Quote ]
| The initiative was confirmed during the Norwegian IT-minister Heidi
| Grande Roys' visit in Finland. The leader of COSS, Petri Rasanen,
| stated that the steady operation of COSS is a good base to build
| the international collaboration on, and for example the web site
| of the new center will be based on the COSS portal.
`----

http://www.swbusiness.fi/portal/news/news_from_software_business_cluster/other_news/?id=18528

Apple DRM illegal in Norway: Ombudsman

,----[ Quote ]