[News] [Linux] Linux and GPLv3 Go for the Attack on Microsoft Windows

  • Subject: [News] [Linux] Linux and GPLv3 Go for the Attack on Microsoft Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:28:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux leaders plot counterattack on Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is the best-known variant of so-called open source
| software -- software that is freely available to the public
| to be used, revised and shared. Linux suppliers earn money
| selling improvements and technical services. By contrast,
| Microsoft charges for software and opposes freely sharing its code.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070614/linux_microsoft.html?.v=3

Microsoft Prepares For General Public License Version 3: The End Of The
Beginning For Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| In my analysis, Microsoft will move away from selling technology in favor
| of going all SaaS (look for the Live… brand on everything from
| entertainment software to really cool new B2C stuff to Longhorn).
| The next decade for Microsoft is all about the experience according
| to Ray Ozzie.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070614/38398_id.html?.v=1

Poor Mr. Softie has legal concern to face, as well.

Microsoft CEO says Google complaint is 'baseless'

,----[ Quote ]
| Google argues that this feature violates a consent decree that
| monitors Microsoft's behavior as part of its settlement with the U.S.
| government, which had accused the company of using its monopoly to harm
| competition by incorporating new features into its operating system at no
| additional costs.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070615:MTFH06929_2007-06-15_16-58-52_N15270571&type=comktNews&rpc=44

No chairs were thrown in this event.