Re: OT - Physical Hard-drive Errors

Mark Kent wrote:

> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>>
>>> I'll buy a new hard-drive tomorrow.
>>
>> Buy two, then raid1 from  hot swap bays. No more down time.
>>
>>> Haven't decided which distro yet.
>>
>> Well Fedora, obviously :)
>>
>>> I have progressive backups, so no data (well, *probably* none) was
>>> lost. Just time...
>>

> Why don't you put a drive in next to the existing one and copy
> everything across?

Bad sectors. Yesterday my system would not even boot. The latest automated
backup (2007-06-14) was complete, but it seems to have been contaminated
(with errors). The previous tape archive (2007-06-11) was fine, so I scp'ed
the 'diffs' of important files while I could... which I'm glad I did. All
in all, all I lost are a few outgoing E-mails (I pop), which I sort of
received back in a reply with quoted bits.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Nothing to see in this sig, please move along"
http://Schestowitz.com  |  RHAT GNU/Linux   �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  3:00pm  up   6:56,  7 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.11, 0.28