[News] [OSS] OpenOffice.org Has New Releases, Put to a Publisher's Test

OpenOffice 2.2.1 removes numerous bugs

,----[ Quote ]
| As the project team will not freeze the code until the beginning of
| July there is no definitive word yet on what new functions Version
| 2.3, planned for release in September of this year, will contain.
| In all likelihood the new version will include a new diagram module
| for the spreadsheet program Calc and a report designer for the
| database Base.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/91105/from/rss09

OpenOffice.org releases native Mac OS X preview

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org released its first native packages for Mac OS X this week.
`----

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=07/06/12/1928248&from=rss

Desktop publishing with OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| "Do you offer a program like Microsoft Publisher?" Some version of
| this question appears regularly on the OpenOffice.org mailing lists.
| Many people automatic answer "no," and say that Scribus is more
| suitable for desktop publishing. But, in fact, OpenOffice.org
| boasts two mid-level layout programs -- Draw and Writer -- each
| of which is far more versatile than its name suggests.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/23/2055214

Related:

Open Office vs. Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| This has been just a short overview comparing Open Office to Microsoft
| Office to demonstrate that you don't have to pay a lot of money to get
| a great Office Suite.  In fact, you may not have to spend any money to
| get a great Office Suite.
`----

http://www.ubuntunoob.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1

Microsoft Office or OpenOffice?

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's turn to Microsoft Office. Again, it brings in a ton of
| revenue to Redmond, even though there are full office productivity
| suites that compete with it. My guess is that many of you can't
| name one though -- and that is what Microsoft counts on, which is
| branding power. The full-featured OpenOffice productivity suite
| is pretty darn impressive (I've used it), and it's completely
| free and interoperable with Microsoft Office (not sure about
| Office 2007). Why don't more people use it then? Lack of knowing
| it exists is a possibility, and having to download the suite or
| order it for about $10 on CD may be obstacles. Plus, you can't
| find it on Best Buy shelves. If customers start becoming smarter
| and find out out about OpenOffice or even Google Inc.'s Google
| Apps, could a large piece of Microsoft's kingdom come
| crashing down?
|

| [Disclosure: I own MSFT shares as of 5-29-07]
`----

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2007/05/29/microsoft-office-or-openoffice/

NeoOffice: It's Ready for Primetime

,----[ Quote ]
| Four weeks ago I decided to try using Neo Office, the Open Source
| word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and drawing program. Neo
| Office is based on Open Office which was created by Sun Microsystems,
| and then released out into the wild as an Open Source project. It
| was developed to work on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX.
`----

http://www.surfbits.com/?p=1160

Chinese software company to tailor OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9722855-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog