Re: [News] [Linux] Request for Dell to Provide Cheap Blank Boxes

__/ [ Geico Caveman ] on Wednesday 13 June 2007 23:40 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Why Dell should offer more than just Ubuntu
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Dell can supply normal machines at exceptional value so I see no
>> | reason why they can't extend their Ubuntu scheme to offering
>> | completely blank computers. Bringing Linux to the mainstream
>> | is a good idea but you need to think beyond that - enthusiasts
>> | spend a lot money and we like making our own decisions. Give us
>> | a blank box and we'll put whatever Linux we like on it. They
>> | get a sale and I get a smile - everyone's a winner.
>> `----
>>

> And precisely what stops the same customer from overwriting the installed
> Ubuntu with something else ?
>
> Its not as if the customer paid anything for Ubuntu !

Actually, there's some money involved and Dell apparently pays Canonical
(it's a secret deal). I'm not saying there's something wrong with this.
There's the support cost difference of $25.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Holey (sic) Cow! Longhorn is full of holes...
Tasks: 130 total,   3 running, 125 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie