Re: [Rival] Another Serious Security Flaw Found in Windows Vista

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:34:59 -0700, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Jun 13, 4:43 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Windows recovery loophole lets hackers in
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Windows Vista may be Microsoft's most secure operating system to date, but
>> | researchers are still finding some glaring loopholes for hackers to
>> | exploit. Here is the latest: all you need is a Vista Install DVD to get
>> | admin level access to a hard drive.
>> |
>> | The loophole arises because the Command Prompt tool in Vista's
>> | System Recovery Options fails to request user name or passwords
>> | before handing over access to PCs running the operating system.
>
> If you have physical access, wouldn't a Linux LiveCD work just as
> well?  Encryption of files might be the only defense against this kind
> of thing.

I have to agree. Any sort of physical access is guaranteed to allow the
attacker a successful break in. Personally, I don't even consider physical
security outside of a locked/supervised room. An attack is more likely to
come from a remote break in than a physical break in.