Re: [News] [Rival] Google to Inherit Microsoft's Role?

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 13 June 2007 10:03 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>         Gates warns of return to Internet bubble era
>>
>> http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/09/yourmoney/msft.php
>
> Of course he would hate the Internet bubble.
>
> What the "bubble" is is a flow of capital to companies that are actually
> innovating and developing next gen technology.

Highlight is mine:

,----[ Quote ]
| From: Bill Gates
| To: Craig Mundle
| Cc: Nathan Myhrvold; Rick Rashid; Russell Siegeiman
| Subject: Internet
| Date: Monday, April 10, 1995 3:00 AM

| Given that we are looking at the internet destroying our position as the
|                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| setter of standards and APIs do you see things we should be doing to use
| ACT assets to avoid this?
|
| I admit I find it hard to focus lost of resources on trials and things
| when the Inetarnet is taking away our power every day and will have
| eroded it irretrievably by the time broadband is pervasive on the course
| we are on right now.
|
| ..
|
| From: Rick Rashid
| To: Bill Gates; Craig Mundie
| Subject: RE: Internet
| Date: Tuesday, April 11. 1995 3:01 PM
|
| OK- Here is a crazy idea (which frankly has nothing much to do with ACT
| but does address the question of Internet and standards):
|
| As an example of Bill's point, Dan Ling showed me this morning that
| Satan (the new internet " daemon :-)) actually uses HTML as a user
| interface. Other software may begin to do this. It's easy. It produces a
| reasonable looking machine independent UI rather quickly. It's dangerous
| from our perspective of wanting to make and preserve valuable standards.
| There are plenty of other examples.
|
| ..
|
| So here's the idea: make Windows the standard interactive application
| interface for the Internet.
`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/122106/PLEX0_5704.pdf

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Far away from home, robots build people"
 10:20am  up 2 days  2:16,  8 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.66, 0.87