Re: the beeb on Open Source ..

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 13 June 2007 08:37 \__

> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Verily I say unto thee, that Doug Mentohl spake thusly:
>>> the beeb on Open Source ..
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XllNdVhKvy8&mode=user&search=
>>
>> Was there some particular reason that they deliberately turned off
>> USpash, and then made a comment about the boot process making the
>> "undisguised, obviously highly technical workings visible"?
>>
>> Let's see; "Open Sauce" (Ketchup), "hippies", "non-techies quite
>> reasonably [being] disturbed", "cuddly toy", "techies with beards".
>>
>> Is there any cliché they did not use?
>>
>> Oh yes, they forgot to call us communists. Thanks.
>>
>>> the beeb on Open Office ..
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAA_PFwGezE&mode=user&search=
>>
>> The emphasis seems to be about "cost", missing the point entirely.
>>

> Cost is a significant issue, though, and should not be ignored.
> Everything comes down to economics one way or another, so I wouldn't say
> that it's missing the point.
>
> The economics of open-source are very interesting, certainly disruptive.

A sadly they are also misunderstood by almost everybody. Code is neither IP
nor something concrete. It's hard to put a price tag on something that can
be shared, improved, and then shared again, without need for subsequent
production (physical).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "The speed of time is one second per second"
Tasks: 126 total,   1 running, 123 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie