Re: Money talked and somebody walked

On Jun 12, 6:51 pm, dapunka <dapu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12 Jun, 16:09, Clogwog <BWAHAHAH...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/116377.asp
> > Next one? Roy Schestowitz?
>
> Sad thing is, MSFT employ Linux-folk under thr pretense that they want
> to operate with/enter into the Linux market.  Seems obvious to me MSFT
> have no such intention, and these appointments are part of their plan
> to trash Linux.

Both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs used to say "Keep your friends close,
keep your enemies closer".  This is one of the reasons why Bill and
Steve tried to outmaneuver each other by attempting to work together
on Mac software.  Bill was just much better at stroking Steve's ego
when Steve would get upset.  There had been rumors that Microsoft was
working on Windows for months, but Bill would always play himself
down.

I don't know if Steve Ballmer will have quite the same talent for the
outright bald-faced lie directly to a partner's face, but on the other
hand, maybe it isn't necessary to engage in criminal acts to maintain
a profit.  Steve might take a short-term hit the first quarter that
Microsoft stops making it's legendary 80% profit margins, but that is
likely to happen anyway.

Microsoft has had a good run.  They have had a virtual monopoly on the
desktop operating system for almost 25 years now.  AT&T had a long
reign as well.  Eventually, though, the monopoly becomes it's own
worst enemy.  The monopoly oriented management of AT&T held back data
carrier technology for almost 25 years, until Cable TV introduced high
speed broadband internet, and VOIP began cutting so deeply into
traditional TDMA circuit revenues, that even AT&T had to "wake up and
smell the coffee".

MCI bought AT&T.  It's like the 500 pound canary that ate the cat.
It's hard to imagine that only 30 years ago, people paid an hour's
wages for a 3 minute phone call.  An accustic coupler limited
bandwidth to 300 baud.  Only AT&T telephones could be connected to the
network.  And AT&T was the only one who could install them.  Today,
the "voice->Data" switch is about the size of a VHS tape, and replaces
the bulk of the phone company voice equipment.

> It's a damn shame the OSS people approached don't see this and tell
> the Gates Gang where to get off.

Microsoft told them what they wanted to hear.  They told them "we want
to play nice with Linux, but we need you to tell us all you know about
Linux so we can play nicer".

very similar to

"We want to make sure that Microsoft applications play nice with Mac,
but you'll need to tell us all you know about Mac OS so we can play
nicer".

Comming soon to a theater near you - Microsoft Linux.

See also "Pirates of Silcone Valley".