Re: [OSS] GPLv3 Could Become Compatible with GPLv2, Xandros Doesn't Mind Diving

On Jun 8, 2:44 am, "[H]omer" <s...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > | Typaldos said he's not concerned. "If you are a businessperson, you can't
> > | worry about every eventuality."
> Like the "eventuality" of being out of business, for example?
> Idiot.
> > It turns out that Xandros has Microsoft 'connections', through Corel. Maybe
> > they just returned a little favour.
>
> It the old boys club.

Not exactly.  When Corel announced that they were going to support
Linux, and that they were going to publish a Linux distribiution, some
"anonymous investor" initiated an SEC investigation into the
activities of the CEO.  Shortly after Corel landed contracts with the
5 largest motherboard manufacturers to include a copy of Corel Linux
with every motherboard shipped, new evidence turned up and the CEO and
Founder, Michael Cowpland was forced to resign.

Almost immediately after this, Microsoft inked a deal that sealed
Corel's fate - all but assuring their virtual bankruptcy.  Corel did
eventually recover, but was pretty much wiped out of the Linux
business completely.

This is becoming a popular theme lately.   Support Linux, make a deal
with Microsoft, fire the CEO, and cripple your business.