[News] [OSS] The European Patent System Lacks Trust, "Open Source" Method Adopted

Euro patent workers have no faith in their masters

,----[ Quote ]
| European Patent Office (EPO) staff have "worryingly low" levels of
| trust in the organisation's highest governing bodies, according to
| a leaked internal document entitled Governance of the EPO: a
| staff perspective.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/11/epo_faithless_staff/

US Patent Office to Try 'Open Source' Approach

,----[ Quote ]
| The goal is to expedite the discovery of "prior art" - creations
| that existed before the applicant for a patent claimed he invented
| them. If successful, the Peer-to-Patent Web site could become a
| kind of SourceForge for intellectual property integrity.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/US_Patent_Office_to_Try_Open_Source_Approach/1181591652
http://tinyurl.com/2wnytr

Related:

Kill the patents, kill the problem

,----[ Quote ]
| Whatever Novell's motivations in its dealing with Microsoft and
| subsequently with the EFF, the fact remains that if software
| patents are shown to be the harmful and counterproductive
| mistake we believe them to be, the industry will benefit in
| many ways. The community must remain united with this in mind.
| Nothing else matters.
`----

http://opinion.zdnet.co.uk/leader/0,1000002208,39287268,00.htm?r=2

The Patent Puzzle

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent fights are fights about money. The secondary issue, the one
| that makes the headlines, is control. To really understand what's
| going on in the current patent posturing involving Microsoft, Novell,
| and a host of open-source companies and groups, it helps to keep
| those factors firmly in mind.

Linux Foundation Fires Back at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2007/tc20070525_325967.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_technology
http://tinyurl.com/3ya5lq