Re: Encounters with Random Linux Users

__/ [ John Locke ] on Tuesday 12 June 2007 00:47 \__

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:35:51 -0500, thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
>
>>I went to a friend's birthday party this weekend.  Kirsten (my SO)
>>was chatting with another woman about her job administering Linux
>>systems for an ISP.  This caught the attention of several other
>>guests who also use Linux.  Some were computer professionals but
>>others were not.  I expect some of the non-geek users there were
>>introduced to Linux by those geek users, such is the viral nature
>>of Linux propagation.  One very Goth but non-computer-geek woman
>>(she was a surgical tech I think) was quite enthusiastic about
>>her planned upgrade to Feisty Fawn.  Another guest responded to
>>that with my favorite quote of the night: "Ubuntu is the Macintosh
>>of Linux versions.  It's just too damn easy."
>>
>>I know some winvocates around here claim they never run into Linux
>>users 'in the wild'... so I just thought I'd share the counter
>>example.
>>
>>Later,
>>
>>Thad
>
> Very heart warming. Thanks for the report. I have encountered
> this myself, so you are not alone.
>
> In the beginning all was dark and stagnant and foreboding. And then
> came Linux and finally there was light and innovation and a
> sense of security.

Security should have never been a factor to weigh (it should be an inherent
property, not a feature) unless of course you count phishing, which relies
on brute force and Windows botnets. Without hijacking of PCs (proxies), a
phisher can be identified and traced back to the source.

Schneier questions need for security industry

,----[ Quote ]
| "We shouldn't have to come and find a company to secure our e-mail.
| E-mail should already be secure. We shouldn't have to buy from
| somebody to secure our network or servers. Our networks and servers
| should already be secure."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6179500.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Wintendo O/S gets malware on its tail
Cpu(s):  20.7% user,   2.8% system,   0.5% nice,  75.9% idle