[News] [OSS] Review of the FreeBSD Desktop, Suitability for Education

FreeBSD as a Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Aside from the four somewhat limited titles discussed, I can play and
| author CD's, DVD's, and movies using GNU and BSD licensed titles just
| as the Linux counterparts can. NVidia also offers native accelerated
| drivers for their cards, which deliver the same performance as the
| Linux platform has. KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, WindowMaker, and virtually
| all software titles which have source available have been "ported"
| to the BSD platform. Many proprietary titles, such as Opera, which
| is binary based, and QT dependent also work via Linux emulation
| which no performance regrets.
`----

http://www.open-node.net/archive/2007/06/11/freebsd-as-a-desktop.aspx

The Amero Case and Computers for K-12

,----[ Quote ]
| I think teachers should insist that any computers used for
| classroom demonstration be run from custom Linux or FreeBSD
| live CD or DVD technology. You can pack a lot of programs
| and data on a DVD.
`----

http://austringer.net/wp/?p=604

Related:

Stretching the Education Dollar With Linux

,----[ Quote ]