Re: MICROSOFT'S A LINUX DISTRIBUTOR?

__/ [ dapunka ] on Monday 11 June 2007 21:52 \__

> I'm not very current on the Microsoft/Novell/Xandros/GPLv3 thing so
> I've been Googling around - and I found this at Groklaw:
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070518124020691
> Basically it argues that Microsoft is a Linux distributor and so
> subject to the GPL. Is this a "Gotcha   Microsoft"?  Or is it a "Nuh-
> uh you ain't!"  And what precisely makes you believe that which you
> believe,  other than a blind belief in your favorite OS?

All this means is that Microsoft will get no access to current packages
(GPLv3-licensed) if it plays the patent card. The idea of pushing all Linux
users to SUSE and then taxing them no longer makes sense. Have a look at the
Eben Moglen interviews in Linux.com (copies on GooTube).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
Swap:  1036184k total,   609656k used,   426528k free,    28700k cached