Re: [News] BBC Slammed for Leaving IT Decisions and Public Money to Other Companies

> MPs rap BBC over Siemens deal
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| But public spending watchdog the PAC said BBC executives misled the board
>| of governors about possible savings while trying to convince them to give
>| the deal the go-ahead.
>|
>| The committee of MPs found £60m of costs was excluded when budgets were
>| put to the governors for approval.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| The PAC said the BBC was failing to manage the contract properly.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| The report suggests the BBC should open up its accounts to government
>| officials for proper scrutiny.
> `----
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/29/pac_bbc_siemens/
>
> This is getting juicy. Don't forget the BBC's huge partnership with Microsoft
> last year. The BBC said that Microsoft would rebuild its 'Web 2.0' site. It's
> a 'technical' collaboration. And where did we end up? Taxpayers' money is
> being fuuelled to Microsoft, which then uses that money to eliminate and
> stifle Microsoft's rivals. It's ironic, isn't it? We sponsor the convincted
> monopoly and the BBC is a careless bystander. See below.

It is quite insane.  I wonder what the BBC's website developers think
about this?  They've done a fantastic job for years, and then they get
fools like Ashley Highfield come along, clearly technically clueless,
who wishes to give Microsoft control of resources which *I* pay for, and
you can be 100% certain that Microsoft will attempt to prevent BBC
websites working with anything other than Microsoft Windows.

> EC threat to BBC over downloads
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| However, OSC disagrees and says the next step is to make a formal
>| complaint to the European Commission (EC).
>|
>| "We're preparing the full details at the moment and we will be
>| sending a formal letter within the next week," said Mr Taylor.
> `----

I wish Mark T and co. well with this.