[News] Big Media Fights Exchange of Information Blindly, Moving on to Torrents

  • Subject: [News] Big Media Fights Exchange of Information Blindly, Moving on to Torrents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 05:33:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
File-sharing 'graveyard' still filling up

,----[ Quote ]
| Now a new battle is heating up. The search engine TorrentSpy is accused
| in a lawsuit filed last year by the Motion Picture Association of
| America (MPAA) of allegedly helping users locate pirated movies online.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6194001.html

What about this new Linux distribution?

http://evinux.org/

Evinux 200701 (2007-06-27)

Just released. It needs a torrent, no?

They shut down everything that /might/ be 'polluted', without even checking for
facts. How long before they censor the Web (maybe even Wikipedia) because it
might contain so-called 'dangerous' and false information? They already wish
to tax the Web heavily. How long before this conspiracy stifles distribution
of Free software too? It has already achieved this because some ISPs block
torrents.

Related (secret Microsoft meetings):

Cyberthreat experts to meet at secretive conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Botnets are networks of hijacked computers, popularly called
| zombies. Cybcercrooks use these networks to relay spam, bring
| down Web sites, distribute spyware and perform other nefarious
| acts. Microsoft has fingered zombies as a top threat to
| Windows PCs.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6151860.html

Music industry meeting could change the Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice present for Microsoft's entertainment
| business, told me today that the meeting was set up as part of the
| deal struck between Microsoft and music business honchos, who are
| always wary of piracy... The meeting was supposed to take place "some
| time after the holidays," he said. It also talks about the future
| of the zune.
`----

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2007/01/music_industry_meeting_could_change_the_zune.html
http://tinyurl.com/y7z5wl

Digital Criminals

,----[ Quote ]
| My concern is that Microsoft says it does all sorts of great
| things to protect its code but doesn't like to tell anyone what
| it is. And it's not willing to compare best practices. Other
| people have developed a whole list of things of what companies
| should do to protect their code. And Microsoft is not telling
| them what they do.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/28/clarke-terrorism-security-tech-security-cx_ll_0228clarke.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/yr63w3

Don't mention the broadband speeds

,----[ Quote ]
| But Microsoft has kept the boss's movements out of the public eye
| and a spokeswoman said "we are not letting any media in" to watch
| today's speech. Instead, a video recording of the speech will be
| uploaded for journalists to watch after the event.
|
| Microsoft confirmed the video would be edited but would not say
| if the editing was done for aesthetics reasons or to conceal
| certain comments from the public.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/dont-mention-the-broadband/2007/05/25/1179601632521.html?s_cid=rss_technology

Steve Ballmer may have said something interesting; we couldn't possibly
comment...

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/05/12/microsoft_bi_three/