[News] [Rival] Microsoft Apparently Failed to Rewrite American Immigration Laws

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Apparently Failed to Rewrite American Immigration Laws
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:02:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft laments demise of immigration bill

,----[ Quote ]
| The major immigration reform bill that was heavily lobbied by Microsoft and
| other technology companies was dealt its death blow in the Senate today and
| appears to be done for the next two years at least.
`----

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/techtracks/archives/2007/06/microsoft_laments_the_demise_of_immigration_bill_1.html

They can't sell Vista, so they want to sell visa.

Related:

Study: There Is No Shortage of U.S. Engineers

,----[ Quote ]
| ...a new study from Duke University calls this argument bunk, stating
| that there is no shortage of engineers in the United States, and
| that offshoring is all about cost savings.

Is There a Shortage of U.S. Tech Workers?

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking before a Senate committee earlier this month, Gates said
| that America is facing a critical shortage of tech workers. He
| recommended boosting the number of H-1B visas to allow more foreign
| tech workers into the U.S.
|
| [...]
|
| "I think that has created an environment where the population of advanced
| skill workers has shrunk a lot in the U.S., because we just haven't created
| a fair system," he says. "Where if you go to other countries, you'll find
| national policy around broadband deployment, which creates a much more even
| playing field for people of all income levels to learn by and work by."
|
| "We did it to ourselves," he says.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3667376

Visas for High-Tech Workers Draw Query

,----[ Quote ]
| Two senators are questioning several companies about their use
| of a visa program for highly skilled workers.
|
| [...]
|
| The high-tech industry has long complained that too few visas are
| available. Microsoft Corp. is among a group of companies that has
| pushed for increasing the available visas.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/high_tech_visas.html?.v=1

Gates calls for 'infinite' H-1Bs, better schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Politicians indicated they're also willing to take cues from Gates
| as they craft new laws in the immigration area. In his testimony,
| Gates said there's only one way to solve what he deemed a
| "crisis"-level shortage of qualified scientific talent: "Open our
| doors to highly talented scientists and engineers who want to live,
| work and pay taxes here."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-11153_22-6165166.html

Bill Gates to address Senate panel

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates is scheduled to descend on Capitol Hill
| next week to pepper a U.S. Senate committee with his suggestions for
| boosting American competitiveness.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10796_3-6163930.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Politics and tech companies: follow the money

,----[ Quote ]