[News] Virtualisation Makes Progress, Microsoft Stifles It

  • Subject: [News] Virtualisation Makes Progress, Microsoft Stifles It
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:50:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
SWsoft lines up hybrid server virtualization platform

,----[ Quote ]
| The CEO of SWsoft has told Computer Business Review that the company
| will deliver a combination of its Virtuozzo and Parallels server
| virtualization technologies by the end of the year.
`----

http://www.computerbusinessreview.com/article_news.asp?guid=0DFAA101-02FB-484E-A43B-AC5D5FEE3E94

Software licensing needs clarity for virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| But Microsoft's licensing is problematic for live migration (or
| VMotion), according to Wolf. Users often do live migrations to
| relocate virtual machines when doing scheduled maintenance on physical
| servers. Microsoft limits VM movement to once per 90 days unless you
| buy the Windows Server Datacenter Edition, which can be expensive.
| Organizations with volume licensing packages would have to purchase
| additional Datacenter licenses to meet Microsoft's terms, Wolf said.
`----

http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid94_gci1262584,00.html

Related:

Analysis: DRM may be why Microsoft flip-flopped on Vista virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Whether most users would call DRM a feature, however, is questionable. A
| close cousin to DRM technology, known as Windows Rights Management Services
| (which in turn is part of a larger category of technologies called Enterprise
| Digital Rights Management, or ERM), can help business users password-protect
| key documents and files, or assign the ability to open them only to trusted
| co-workers. But DRM's main purpose seems to be to help the Warner Bros. and
| Sony Musics of the world keep consumers from sharing movies and music. The
| entertainment industry claims that almost all blocked sharing is illegal;
| digital rights watchdogs argue that legitimate consumer uses are also blocked
| by such technology.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9025466&pageNumber=1

Microsoft's anti-virtualization stance: forget DRM, think Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, I suspect, is terrified of a world in which standard,
| Joe-Consumer Windows can be virtualized and made to play second fiddle
| to Mac OS X, or even (say) Ubuntu Linux. No longer does Joe Consumer
| view the computing world as Windows versus all. Instead it begins to
| look like Windows versus Windows + alternative OSes.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070624-microsofts-anti-virtualization-stance-forget-drm-think-apple.html
http://tinyurl.com/2e6tpu

Is need for control behind Microsoft's flip-flop?

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, Gartner analyst Michael Silver took Microsoft to task
| for its continued restrictions.
|
| "Microsoft's policies...come off as a way to gouge customers," Silver
| said in an e-mail, noting that customers are forced to pay for higher
| priced editions, even though they don't get many of the benefits, like
|  the Aero user interface, which often won't work in a virtual machine.
|
| Silver argues that Microsoft is likely leaving money on the table.
| "Allowing use of lower priced (editions) could even be worth more
| money to Microsoft as it would likely increase the number of people
| that would legally run a Microsoft OS in a VM (like on a Mac),"
| Silver wrote. "Eventually they will have no choice but to make their
| peace with virtualization."
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9733433-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft insults our intelligence on Virtualization security

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=549