Re: [News] [Linux] No ZFS Needed for Linux, New Filesystems May Obviate the Need

____/ BearItAll on Wednesday 27 June 2007 11:38 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Kernel space: two new filesystems for Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | New filesystem technology for Linux includes high capacity,
>> | snapshots, copy-on-write, and on-the-fly corruption detection.
>> `----
>>
>> http://apcmag.com/6468/zfs_the_ultimate_filesystem
>>

> Excuse the sweaty brow, I just feignted.
>
> Looking that up on the net it seems that on any error (yes I said 'any') the
> system admin is notified and all further access to that system is stopped.
>
> Sorry, you just feignted too eh? Here, borrow my damp cloth.
>
> So, you get an email from your system 500 miles away, it so happens to be
> the day when the ISP is doing some scheduled work so the email is a little
> later than normal. Telling you that the file system has a little error and
> has therefore stopped.
>
> Thankyou for the offer of a new file system, but I don't think it's the
> right one for me.
>
> Ah but, I here you say, assuming that is a raided drive then whats the
> problem, the bad side of the raid is kicked out, but the system still runs.
>
> Well pardon me but I don't want to have to dash off 400 miles (even a
> virtual dash through vpn) every time we have a bad sector. What do these
> people think goes on currently? Linux is better than that, we don't need to
> kill off a drive or volume for a large proportion of potential drive
> errors. Of those problems that are marked for the filesystem check over
> night, how many would actually bring down the system? The answer is, very
> few because the system is well able to deal with these situations these
> days.
>
> There, I've spat my dummy and quite right too.

I think that Vista devs tried to brag about on-the-fly(ish) defragmentation of
the disk (allocation), but again, the problem here is that a problem is being
solved using CPU cycles rather then be prevented in an elegant way in the
first place.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | GNU is Not Universal (begin recursion)
Cpu(s): 26.0%us,  4.5%sy,  0.9%ni, 64.4%id,  3.7%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st