Re: [News] [Linux] Solaris Installer Still as 'Good' as ATI's Drivers

____/ chrisv on Tuesday 26 June 2007 23:56 : \____

> [H]omer wrote:
>
>> | AMD has no plans to release an updated driver - The next functional |
>> driver will be version 8.38.X, to be released sometime this June. | If
>> you are using a ATI/AMD card that isn't supported by the | open-source
>> drivers, please consider staying with Fedora Core 6 | until the end of
>> the month when 8.38.X is available. `----
>>
>>  - http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=156434
>>
>> So much for proprietary drivers.
>
> It's sad, but IMO true, that ATI sucks.  Because of their shitty Linux
> support, I stopped buying ATI (now AMD) video products years ago.  A
> recent experience trying to get a 9500 Pro (not exactly "new tech") going
> with the proprietary driver under PCLOS for a friend did not improve my
> opinion.
>
> It's Nvidia all the way, for me.

That crashing X bug has affected me for *years*. With this st00pid ATI card,
any X cursor that was not the crude one would lead to screen 2 going blank. I
could go to tt1 and back to tty7 to restore it to normal within a couple of
seconds, but it was still a nuisance if I ssh -x'ed to a machines that
exported fancy cursors. I had to keep the applications in screen 1 and I got
used to it. to thsi date, I worry about moving applications to screen 2 if
they are imported from another PC. It's an instinctive fear.

AMD promised to improve. Let's see if it's all talk, no action.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows O/S: who ownZ you tod4y?
Swap:  1510068k total,   535160k used,   974908k free,    72572k cached