Re: OpenOffice Writer freezing on .doc format docs

____/ Linonut on Tuesday 26 June 2007 12:41 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, dapunka belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> I know the shortcomings of OOo are a perennial subject round here,
>> mostly troll-stuff I believe.  I'm not trolling, I'm a happy Ubuntu
>> Feisty user... but Open Office Writer has been getting me down.
>>
>> Usually, I save my documents in .odf format, without any problems.
>> But lately, I've been bringing home to work on documents that have
>> been saved in .doc format on Word 2003.  And the vast majority of
>> these docs just cause Writer to seize up.
>>
>> OOo Writer's ability to use MS .doc format has been hailed as one of
>> the boons, letting users locked-in by Word to migrate to OOo.  But
>> this problem seems to be putting the kibosh on that.
>>
>> Someone told me there may be issues with the Word 2007 .doc format...
>> but I thought the 2003 version was ok?
>
> I had a Word document do that recently.  Don't know its vintage, though.
>
> Try reading the document in Word 2000 or XP and saving it.
>
> Or export it in RTF, if that supports the feeeeechurs of your document.
>
> Always remember, you cannot trust Microsoft software and formats.

It might be worth passing on these documents as attachments in bug reports so
that Sun Micro, Novell and co. can debug and resolve these issues. Binary
mess, which requires reverse engineering, tends to make things unpredictable.
Will Microsoft mind and bother to 'fix' this? Of course not. It's a feature,
not a problem. DOS ain't done until Lotus won't run...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 118 sleeping,   1 stopped,   1 zombie