Re: Roy, I have a question

In article <1182809615.193109.148990@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Darth Chaos <DarthChaosofRSPW@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy, my friend Kirsty in the UK runs a website, and she is looking
> into having it run from a Linux-based server. I recommended Ubuntu
> Server Edition followed by Fedora Core because I have no experience
> with the other OSes she mentioned (CentOS, Debian Stable, FreeBSD,
> OpenBSD, NetBSD), but I'm not sure which version of Ubuntu Server to
> recommend, Ubuntu Server Edition 6.06 LTS or Ubuntu Server Edition
> 7.04.

What do you mean by "run a website"?  Do you mean place a server she
owns in a colo facility, where she will run the server?  Or do you mean
a dedicated server from a hosting company, where the hosting company
handles the normal running of the server and she would just deal with
the website itself?  Or will it be a website on shared hosting?

For all but the first of those, the answer is it doesn't really matter
much.  You'd generally pick a hosting company based on price, bandwidth,
disk space, management tools, support, etc.  What underlying Unix-like
system they use to provide that is usually not relevant.

--
--Tim Smith