[News] [Rival] Windows Vista -- From Hype to Constant Whine About Lack of Sales/Adoption

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista -- From Hype to Constant Whine About Lack of Sales/Adoption
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:09:27 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Vista's failures explained

,----[ Quote ]
| Please stop your whining, it is getting quite annoying. We do realise you
| have an OS called MeII (aka Vista) and it isn't selling. Please accept my
| sympathies but not my dollars, you lost me and all my clients as a customer.
| I am going Linux now wherever possible, and from the sound of things, that is
| in many more places than you find comfortable.

Hey, [H]omer, sue INQ/Charlie for stealing your word. :-)

Related:

Don't wait for Vista SP1, pleads Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "Some customers may be waiting to adopt Windows Vista because they've heard
| rumors about device or application compatibility issues, or because they
| think they should wait for a service pack release," the company said in a
| newsletter.
|
| [...]
|
| No wonder the company needs a "fact-rich program" to convince people why they
| should "proceed with confidence" -- its own announcements must have given
| plenty of business IT managers shaky legs.
`----

http://apcmag.com/6458/dont_wait_for_vista_sp1_pleads_microsoft

Nine burning questions about how Vista is really doing

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead, there's so much spin   -- from Microsoft,  from rivals such
| as Apple Inc.,  from market analysts pushing research and more research
| -- it would even leave Sasha Cohen dizzy. Here's our attempt to unravel
| this puzzle-shrinkwrapped-in-a-mystery.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9021838
http://tinyurl.com/2u6gzq

It's not just Vista that fails to sell well and requires some serious spin
(marketing lies).

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony, like Microsoft, announces units shipped, not actually sold.
| This allows both companies to advertise sales numbers based on how
| many units they can force retailers to accept, not on how many units
| customers actually buy; both have considerable market power to push
| excess unsold inventory into the channel."
`----

http://www.informationarbitrage.com/2007/04/microsoft_phili.html

Is that 1 Million Zunes Shipped or Sold?

,----[ Quote ]
| Stephen Baker, NPD's vice president of industry analysis, says he believes
| that Microsoft could have shipped 1 million Zunes. "They have not sold 1
| million players through nor do I believe they will by the end of June," he
| said. "That number is likely to be around 750,000."
|
| Microsoft's modest sales goal--at least compared to more than 100
| million iPods--may or may not be in sight, depending on whether
| that number is shipped or sold.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/games_consumer/is_that_1_million_shipped_or_sold.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Rumor: Is Microsoft cheating their [Xbox 360] sales?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://xbox360.qj.net/Rumor-Is-Microsoft-cheating-their-sales-/pg/49/aid/89595