[News] [Linux] Usability Myths and Misconceptions (No Gold Standard Exists)

  • Subject: [News] [Linux] Usability Myths and Misconceptions (No Gold Standard Exists)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 05:19:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
There Is No Grand Theory of Usability

,----[ Quote ]
| We have touched on this discussion a couple of times before on OSNews,
| most notably when we ran a poll on whether or not GNOME should include a
| patch to enable a global application menubar. The 175 comments to that
| story provided us with some very valuable insights concerning the matter;
| most importantly, it illustrated how hard it actually is to make a case
| for any (G)UI related standpoint, probably because in contrast to many
| other computing related issues, you cannot benchmark usability.
|
| [...]
|
| Now, it was not my intention to 'attack' the Macintosh interface; in
| fact, I prefer it over Windows' and GNOME's, and I make my KDE behave
| exactly like it.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18134/There-Is-No-Grand-Theory-of-Usability/

Related:

beryl: usability (iv) - the wheel switcher

,----[ Quote ]
| You can activate the wheel switcher using the <super><tab> key
| combo. In terms of keyboard strokes, it works the same as <alt><tab>,
| you press <super><tab> to switch one application in the forward
|
| [...]
|
| The advantage that I see for this in terms of usability is that
| you can see all of the applications clearly, as they spin around
| the ring. This gives you plenty of time to focus in on the one you
| want, and watch its progress around the ring, so that you can make
| sure you stop in the right place. In my view, this is a great
| improvement on both beryl's standard switcher and also the
| switchers on non-composited window managers.
`----

http://liquidweather.net/howto/index.php?id=104

beryl: usability (v) - howto manage virtual desktops using the wall plugin

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://liquidweather.net/howto/index.php?id=105

,----[ Quote ]
| grouper plugin and tabbed windows
|
| The grouper plugin allows you to join various windows into
| groups, and perform actions on all the windows as one. For
| example, if you resize one window in a group, all windows are
| resized. If you move one window in the group, they all move.
|
| [...]
|
| scale plugin and the four desktop corners
|
| Because the four corners of the desktop are the easiest parts to hit
| with your mouse, it makes sense to try and put some form of useful
| action in each of the four corners.
`----

http://www.liquidweather.net/howto/index.php?id=92

howto drag and drop files/text using the beryl scale plugin

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://liquidweather.net/howto/index.php?id=107

,----[ Quote ]
| Problem is, I spread my applications across all 4 desktops, so
| that things feel uncluttered when I'm working on an application.
| However, when you want to keep an eye on several applications at
| a time, it's impossible - except, if you have beryl. What I do
| is set one of the corners of my desktop to activate the scale
| plugin to show all windows from all desktops (see here for a
| more detailed explanation). I also make sure that it shows
| minimised windows.
`----

http://www.liquidweather.net/howto/index.php?id=101

Gimp 2.3 (preview of 2.4)

,----[ Quote ]
| The major change for this release seems to be a big usability
| overhaul. New defaults are now in place that make the Gimp look
| a little bit like Photoshop, but still has many features that
| make it unique.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2007/06/08/gimp-23-preview-of-24/

Poor Design by Microsoft - "Save As" Button in 2007 Excel has been located!

,----[ Quote ]
| In an experiment 4 out of 5 users took longer than 2 minutes to find
| the SAVE AS button. And 3 of those users needed to use the PAPER CLIP
| (CLIPPY). This is clearly poor design upon Microsoft. They never think
| about the end user. The menu structure is horrific and it has been
| proven inefficient!
`----

http://www.fumbled.org/2007/04/20/poor-design-by-microsoft-save-as-button-in-2007-excel-has-been-located/

The Vista taskbar: it's worse than XP's

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather than cutting the functionality altogether, Microsoft could
| have simply made undocking a toolbar a more deliberate action (e.g.
| via a context menu) rather than a drag-and-drop thing, so that Flora
| Average didn't do it accidentally with her less-than-stellar
| hand-mouse coordination while trying to open Microsoft Word.
`----

http://apcmag.com/3106/the_vista_taskbar_its_worse_than_xps

Vista's "Open With" Dialog a MAJOR step back!

,----[ Quote ]
| The only program to choose from is the officially associated program.
| I went on to click ?Browse?, and I was greeted with the following
| window, where I had to manually search for Wordpad to open the
| configuration file! Leading to wastage of seconds from my life,
| just because Microsoft changed something that didn?t need any
| change at all.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2007/03/03/vistas-open-with-dialog-a-major-step-back/

Vista's UI is a 'step back,' analyst says

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011819&intsrc=hm_list

Why power users will hate Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been testing Vista in the last few days and I've been trying to
| wrap my head around it. I'm trying to figure an objective approach to
| it, but it's really hard, because I simply don't like most of the
| things I see. One of the reasons for this is the fact that Windows
| Vista doesn't offer anything new for Windows power users - actually,
| it's only taking away from them.
`----

http://franticindustries.com/blog/2007/01/24/why-power-users-will-hate-vista/

Why Has Microsoft Abandoned the Power User?

,----[ Quote ]
| I don't know about you, but I'm feeling abandoned these
| days, as Windows Vista and Internet Explorer are
| increasingly closed off.
|
| How about you -- do you see any evidence of this
| disturbing trend?
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2006/10/why_has_microsoft_abandoned_th.html

Microsoft Power Users, Part II