Re: CUPS Printing Sucks

> This comes from <dubious@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> . Very dubious.

Especially since he didn't actually cite any problems. It was a lot of
waffle over nothing.

> Indeed, front ends to CUPS handle everything just fine and DDK will
> improve things further.

What he wants to go messing around with CUPS dotfiles for I really don't
know. CUPS is a extensive framework with many entry points, including a
Web interface which facilitates both local and remote printer admin.

If our learned friend feels intimidated by CUPS, and wishes to delve
into dotfiles with vim, then by all means he should use lpr, since that
would indeed seem entirely more appropriate for his prehistoric and
proprietary Operating System (IRIX), which I note has not had a major
update since 1998. I'm surprised CUPS works at all on that ancient platform.

I make the same recommendation to our forlorn friend that SGI has:

"In a press release on 6 September 2006, SGI announced the end of the
MIPS/IRIX-based product line.[1] Production ended on 29 December 2006
and the last orders will be fulfilled by March 2007. Support for these
products will end no sooner than December 2013. All remaining SGI
products run Linux."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRIX

Maybe he's just feeling a little abandoned, and needed to vent.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "People are not happy in stinking hellholes of abject poverty, what
| is true is that once you cross subsistence ... additional increases
| in wealth have virtually no effect on well-being ... This is worth
| knowing in case you have a choice between "X" and making more
| money, almost certainly "X" is what you should choose."
|   - Barry Schwartz
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
 04:53:02 up 18 days, 16:38,  4 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.14, 0.15