Re: [Rival] Poor Vista Adoption, Regretful Vista Promises

____/ Rex Ballard on Thursday 21 June 2007 16:14 : \____

Let me have a go. I'll give examples, which can hopefully be generalised to fit
the appropriate articles, which clearly *do* exist.

> On Jun 21, 9:26 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Cooper on Business Adoption of Windows Vista
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I'm of the opinion that neither is going to happen.
>> | My bet is that we're waiting for either
>> | licensing changes from Microsoft over Select customers,
>
> This is a big problem for Microsoft.  Many corporate legal
> departments have pretty much told the CEO that the current
> licenses expose the company to too much shareholder liability.
> With Microsoft able to completely disable all of the PCs,

Microsoft is bad for business

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is bad for business because they take this level of
| annoyance to the highest level in Windows Vista.
`----

http://techstuff.goboardz.com/forum_topic.asp?ID=1102

Vista's legal fine print raises red flags

,----[ Quote ]
| For greater certainty, the terms and conditions remove any doubt about who
| is in control by providing that "this agreement only gives you some rights
| to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights."
`----

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/175801

A sneaky change in Windows licensing terms

,----[ Quote ]
| With a retail version of Windows XP, there are no restrictions on the
| number of times you can transfer the software from one computer to another
| in your household or office. That's about to change for the worse in
| Vista, with only one lifetime transfer allowed. It makes the outrageous
| price difference between retail and OEM copies even more difficult
| to justify.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=156

Tough new rules on Vista "OEM"

,----[ Quote ]
| Straight from the horse's mouth -- "spokesperson" at Microsoft
| Australia:
|
| "OEM versions of Windows Vista must be distributed to end-user
| with a fully assembled computer system and must be pre-installed."
`----

http://apcmag.com/node/4347

Vista licensing also limits benchmarking
http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2218/061101vistalicense/index.html

Vista EULA stirs up a storm

Vista EULA restricts display to one person

> without warning, without permission or physical access, and
> without legal recourse, the loss of the PCs for even a few
> hours could mean the difference between a 10% profit or a 20% loss
> for a quarter.  This would trigger a 20-30% slide in the stock price,
> and that could trigger credit restrictions.

Now it's final. I will NEVER upgrade to Vista.

,----[ Quote ]
| "...Windows was deactivated due to a hardware change. You must activate
| Windows within 3 days or Windows will stop working. Click to start
| activation..."
`----

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=212977&start=0&tag=nl.e138

ATM with Pirated Windows [with photos]

,----[ Quote ]
| In Russian you can sometimes meet pirated copy of Windows even
| on ATM. It warns that this copy of Windows need activation and
| the work of ATM gets interrupted.
`----

http://englishrussia.com/?p=981#more-981

Analyst slams Vista's 'backward' UI

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista is a step back in usability, researcher claims
`----

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17334

Vista: Slow and Dangerous

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/BusinessWeek/2007/03/26/3124001

> The CFO and Legal department are pretty much telling the CIO
> that if he allows Vista, his career will be ending very suddenly.

Your expense = my revenue

,----[ Quote ]
| "Windows is a money making machine for everyone involved" - but
| describing it as really a kind of work for welfare scheme in which
| everyone wins -except the customer to whom it's a cost, and the
| national economy for which it's a productivity sink.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=803

Microsoft in the NHS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.e-health-insider.com/comment_and_analysis/index.cfm?ID=69

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2002, the British government embarked on a $12 billion effort to
| transform its health-care system with information technology. But
| the country's oversight agency now puts that figure at $24 billion,
| and two Members of Parliament say the project is "sleepwalking
| toward disaster."
`----

http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,1540,2058194,00.asp

NHS IT boss quits

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/18/granger_leaves_npfit/

>> | or some new killer application that is
>> | only available on Vista (and which has no
>> | existing Windows XP customers).
>
> I think Microsoft was hoping that Office 2007 would be
> the "Killer App" for business.  The problem is that most
> businesses absolutely hate it.

Bold Redesign Improves Office 2007 But Learning Curve May Be Too Steep for
Some Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "it requires a steep learning curve that many people might rather avoid.
| In my own tests, I was cursing the program for weeks"

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116786111022966326-T8UUTIl2b10DaW11usf4NasZTYI_20080103.html

Office 2007 may be Microsoft's Titanic: former Government IT boss

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates has been talking up Office 2007 ahead of its business launch
| on November 30. However, the recently departed deputy CIO of one of
| Australia's biggest government Microsoft sites believes introducing
| the new version of Microsoft Office may be the company's biggest
| ever disaster.

> It seems that documents
> generated by Office 2007 can't be read by earlier versions
> of office (even when you use the "save as" mode)...

[OOXML] Math markup marked down

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/04/math-markup-marked-down.html

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20070621072840440&title=OOXML%20newspick&type=article&order=&hideanonymous=0&pid=586260#c586360

> As
> a result, many individuals who have tried to upgrade to
> Office 2007 are being told to either downgrade their software,
> or use Open Office instead.

OpenOffice.org Training for Local Self-government Units in Macedonia

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.metamorphosis.org.mk/content/view/825/4/lang,en/

> Many corporations are setting a very "hard line" against
> any type of "forced upgrade", threatening to not renew support
> contracts, even remove MS-Office from corporate desktops if
> Microsoft can't "Play Nice" with Open Office.

Sun slams Ecma's OpenXML OK

,----[ Quote ]
| "Make sure you follow how well the Novell and Corel implementations
| do," he wrote. "If they falter, watch out for those who try to blame
| those companies or open source itself, when the root of the problem
| may be with the Microsoft Office OpenXML spec in the first place."
`----

http://www.itweek.co.uk/itweek/news/2170681/sun-slams-ecma-openxml-ok

FFII opposes Fasttrack adoption of Microsoft OOXML format as ISO standard

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/FFII_opposes_Fasttrack_adoption_of_Microsoft_OOXML_format_as_ISO_standard
http://tinyurl.com/2qxk7p

>> | The licensing changes are extremely unlikely,
>> | given the back-peddling Microsoft has already
>> | done with OEMs.
>
> Microsoft's deals with the other Linux vendors may be an
> attempt to appease both OEMs and Corporate customers.
> Unfortunately, there are still major issues in the
> standard EULA that are just unacceptable to corporate
> lawyers.

Vista's legal fine print raises red flags

,----[ Quote ]
| For greater certainty, the terms and conditions remove any doubt about who
| is in control by providing that "this agreement only gives you some rights
| to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights."
`----

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/175801

>> | So can you imagine a killer business
>> | application that won't be made available for
>> | Windows XP users? Neither can I.
>
> The big Killer App for Vista seems to be Direct X-10 3D graphics.
> The problem is that these are only relevant on video game
> applications.

Barely so.

Hacked DX10 for Windows appears

,----[ Quote ]
| A chap called Cody Brocious from San Diego, California, claims to
| have started to create an wrapper for Windows executables so that
| they can be ran on another operating system, with no prejudice
| about that operating system.
|
| A year in, the Alky Project has gone live under the cover of a
| company Falling Leaf Systems. Members of its Sapling Program will
| be able to get the wrappers for DirectX10 applications and run
| them not just on DX10 hardware under Windows XP, but with some
| DX9 hardware as well.

Valve questions Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Half-Life 2 developer Valve thinks that Microsoft's current
| "Games for Windows" marketing push is a cynical ploy to sell
| more copies of Windows Vista, rather than a genuine effort to
| invigorate the PC gaming market.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/12/valve_questions_microsofts_commitment/

Valve survey shows hundreds of thousands steamed up

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the survey also shows how far Microsoft et al have to go
| - currently, DX10-capable gamers (ie those with Vista and a DX10 card)
| make up 1.21% of the gaming population.

DAAMIT! AMD's DX10 is not up to scratch

,----[ Quote ]
| The gap isn't much, but there's a good 10-15 per cent difference between
| the two cards, and this is rather disappointing for a card that has
| been repeatedly marketed as future proof.

> Most Business customers don't use 3D graphics much at all, and most of
> the business-oriented 3D graphics applications are based on OpenGL
> because they are ports of Linux/Unix applications.

Indeed. Maya 3D, for example, is originally a UNIX application.

Also consider:

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at major
| animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or more]
| penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told LinuxInsider.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html

Studios Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxmovies.org/studios.html

>> | [...]
>> |
>> | I can almost guarantee that businesses'
>> | adoption of Windows XP Professional
>> | was considerably faster than adoption
>> | of Vista has been, or is ever likely to be.
>
> Remember, when XP was released in September of 2001, Microsoft
> sent letters to all of their corporate customers telling them
> that if they didn't upgrade their support plans to XP and take
> delivery of paper licenses (even if not installed) within 30 days,
> they would be "on their own".  In addition, Microsoft attempted
> to triple the price of the support packages.  In some cases,
> the price for the premium support package jumped to $150/user/month
> for an "All Applications" premium support package (commercial
> equivalent
> to MSDN).

The same charade goes on today. Just months ago.

Microsoft raises support fees for Windows, Office

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft quietly raised last week its per-incident support prices
| across the board for Windows and Office.
|
| Support for Windows XP and Windows Vista now costs $59 per incident.
| Prior to the Vista launch, the per-incident support price for
| Windows was $39.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=242

They are desperate to maintain the same revenue (Vista doesn't sell and other
divisions lose $billions), so they squeeze the cash cow for the "golden" milk.

> The tactic irritated CFOs, COO, and CEOs so badly that they ordered
> the CIO or CTO to come up with a plan to migrate to Linux on 30 days
> notice.  The plan had to be implemented - usually within 18 to 24
> months.  All PCs being purchased had to be "Linux Ready", and had to
> be tested with the desired Linux distribution before quantities could
> be ordered.

Lenovo now certifies some products for Linux use, e.g.:

LCTP Series Linux Laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Pre-loaded Red Hat/Fedora Linux, Ubuntu Linux; distribution CDs
| included. Optional Dual-Boot Install with Windows XP.
`----

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lctp60.html

Same with Dell, which even preinstalls Linux on desktops and notebooks (recent
major development).

Dell Open-Source Notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
| The open-source n Series notebooks feature select popular models
| from the LatitudeTM  line available with a copy of the FreeDOSTM
| open-source operating system included in the box, ready to install.
`----

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/nseries_nb?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&%7Eck=mn

Drivers for Linux is now seen as a priority too.

Linux: Driver Support is Key

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/03/28/9655.aspx

> Vista openly defies this order.  To get the AeroGlass 3D effects, you
> have to have a DirectX-10 video card, and because of agreements with
> Microsoft, there are no Linux drivers for any of these cards.  It's
> direct defiance of the DOJ antitrust settlement, but at this point, no
> one is looking to the courts for relief.  Businesses are simply
> refusing to even consider vista

Compatibility issues will probably be resolved through pressure:

PCLinuxOS launching hardware certification program

,----[ Quote ]
| The PCLinuxOS Hardware Database (HWDB) collects user-submitted
| reports on the compatibility of various hardware with the
| PCLinuxOS distribution. Now its founder has announced a plan
| to begin a hardware certification program for personal
| computer manufacturers.

Coping with MS-specific hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| GNU/Linux hardware support is extremely commendable. Basically
| anything that doesn't work yet doesn't work because of lack of
| cooperation of the hardware vendor.
`----

http://www.nuxified.org/blog/coping_with_ms_specific_hardware

On the software front:

Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
| finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
| hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
| wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
| Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
| multimedia over the Internet.

Microsoft Challenges Adobe With Publisher Partnerships

,----[ Quote ]
| A fourth newspaper, The New York Times, introduced a proprietary
| reader based on Microsoft's technology last November.
`----

http://scienceandtechnology1.blogspot.com/2007/02/microsoft-challenges-adobe-with.html

BBC plans to lock viewers into Microsoft monopoly says Open Source Consortium

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Source Consortium (OSC) believes the plans are anti-competitive
| and will use public money to lock viewers into the technologies of
| a repeatedly convicted monopolist.
`----

http://www.publictechnology.net/article_avantgo.php?sid=7655

Photosynth for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the demonstration video of Photo Tourism which was later
| transformed into Microsoft Photosynth (Wikipedia). Now, you'll find
| it difficult to disagree with me when I say this is a great product.
| It just has that "cool factor".
|
| However, the Photosynth website says at the system requirements: Only
| Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista RC1 or later are supported at this
| time. However, the video I showed above clearly shows it running on
| Linux (take a look at the titlebar of the web browser or the "add
| annotation dialog"). This could mean two things:
|
|    1. Microsoft deliberately decided not to support Linux
|    2. Microsoft may still want to make this available for Linux
`----

http://xubuntublog.wordpress.com/2007/03/02/photosynth-for-linux/

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
| An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
| in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
| public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
| Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
| the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon forn
| etwork applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569

Mind the fact that they turn to Europe. They no longer have any faith in the
corruption-riddled US DoJ.

>> | But then, making that comparison wouldn't send the message that
>> | Microsoft's PR machines would like sent about Vista, would it?
>
> Microsoft loves to make "first 30 day" announcements.  They typically
> include pre-sold inventory, financed by Microsoft.  In some cases, the
> inventory is for an entire year.  It can include OEM sales, sales to
> Retailers, and "sales" to corporate subscribers to the support
> programs.

Channel stuffing/definition bending.

Examples:

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony, like Microsoft, announces units shipped, not actually sold.
| This allows both companies to advertise sales numbers based on how
| many units they can force retailers to accept, not on how many units
| customers actually buy; both have considerable market power to push
| excess unsold inventory into the channel."
`----

http://www.informationarbitrage.com/2007/04/microsoft_phili.html

Nine burning questions about how Vista is really doing

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead, there's so much spin   -- from Microsoft,  from rivals such
| as Apple Inc.,  from market analysts pushing research and more research
| -- it would even leave Sasha Cohen dizzy. Here's our attempt to unravel
| this puzzle-shrinkwrapped-in-a-mystery.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9021838
http://tinyurl.com/2u6gzq

Is that 1 Million Zunes Shipped or Sold?

,----[ Quote ]
| Stephen Baker, NPD's vice president of industry analysis, says he believes
| that Microsoft could have shipped 1 million Zunes. "They have not sold 1
| million players through nor do I believe they will by the end of June," he
| said. "That number is likely to be around 750,000."
|
| Microsoft's modest sales goal--at least compared to more than 100
| million iPods--may or may not be in sight, depending on whether
| that number is shipped or sold.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/games_consumer/is_that_1_million_shipped_or_sold.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Rumor: Is Microsoft cheating their [Xbox 360] sales?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://xbox360.qj.net/Rumor-Is-Microsoft-cheating-their-sales-/pg/49/aid/89595

> With XP, the loophole was that licensees could accept the terms of the
> XP license and "downgrade" to previous versions of Windows, such as
> Windows 2000, or Windows NT.  This was part of the court order.  When
> OEMs ordered Vista, their preview experiences were negative, so
> Microsoft offered them an option to ship "Vista Capable" machines with
> XP instead of Vista, even though they had purchased a Vista license.
> Ironically, the OEMs had to pay EXTRA for that option.

If they don't want to eat their vegetables, force them.

,----[ Quote ]
| In late February, a client of Solbrekk Business Technology Solutions
| bought seven PCs as part of a $50,000 project and decided to try Vista
| on one of the machines. Three hours into the job, he decided there were
| too many compatibility issues with the company's antivirus software
| and a third-party logistics application. So Joann Evans, Solbrekk
| senior account executive, opted to use XP. But after several
| frustrating hours trying to reach people at an OEM distributor
| and then Microsoft to obtain a downgrade license, she gave up and
| purchased a new XP Pro license for her client--with her own money.
|
| "I can't tell you how many times I got hung up on," she says.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/199100681;jsessionid=WKHCZHK5FANAOQSNDLOSKHSCJUNN2JVN?pgno=5

Ubuntu Goes Ultraportable

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1062

,----[ Quote ]
| One reason that a "clean PC" is a better alternative than wiping
| the hard drive is that PC makers also equip their machines with the
| needed drivers for their specific hardware. Although many PC makers
| do have them for download on their Web site, finding all of the
| needed bits can be quite a challenge.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6179323.html

Dell casts doubts on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
| some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
| Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
| choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
| Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
| larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
| an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
`----

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/19/dell.casts.doubts.on.vista/

There are also stories from businesses that buy a fleet of PCs and the first
thing they do is wipe Vista off them.

>> `----
>>
>> http://mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=1801
>>
>> Would You put Your Life in Vista's Hands?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | While on a visit in Romania, where Bill Gates participated in the
>> | celebration of 10 years since the Microsoft branch has been running
>> | there, and the launch of Vista, declared that, with the right amount
>> | of administration, the new Vista could run life support systems in
>> | hospitals.
>> `----
>
> Do they offer a "duration of stay" life insurance program, like the
> airlines?  If I were staying at that hospital, and couldn't leave, I
> would definitely want to pay $100 for the $1 million dollar policy.
> If I'm going to die, at least my wife and kids can get rich.
>
> The irony is that in some countries, such as the United States, it is
> illegal to insure against a statistical certainty.  If you were
> staying in a hospital where your life support depended on Windows,
> they would legally have no choice but to cancel or suspend coverage on
> the policy for the duration of your stay.

Who could ever argue with that?

>> http://www.techdo.com/would-you-put-your-life-in-windows-vistas-hands/
>>
>> Watch the video. Also this one:
>>
>> http://www.flixya.com/video/79487/Oh_Noooooo_Blue_Screen_of_Death_on_...

I wish these BSoDs were funny, but they are not. Some people die on the
operating table because the system has crashed... or decided it needed
validation, or a reboot... or it got infected... maybe the DRM routes in the
Vista kernel will make Gutmann's prediction and warning a reality in things to
come... and, yes, he mentioned the impact on people's lives (or deaths).

CfH refutes computer failure claims

,----[ Quote ]
| "Very often they are not major incidents as such, but could be caused when
| a patient administration system is running slow or there may be problems
| with the local network. The severity level is attributed by the user and
| this is subsequently very often down graded or amended."
|
| Many of the incidents that have been reported by CfH include failure of
| the systems used by surgeons to see X-ray pictures on a computer screen
| in wards and operating theatres. On some occasions the system is believed
| to have crashed during an operation, forcing surgeons to suspend the
| procedure while a hard copy of the X-ray is found.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/19/cfh_defends_itself/

Network traffic is  being polluted by SPAM. Help the Internet. Adopt *nix.
Mem:    515500k total,   445100k used,    70400k free,     1732k buffers