Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Still Not in Antitrust Compliance, Says Google

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Google calls for greater Windows Vista openness
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Seattle PI has quoted David Drummond, Google's chief legal officer,
> | saying: "These remedies are a step in the right direction, but they
> | should be improved further to give consumers greater access to
> | alternate desktop search providers."
> `----
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/20/google_windows_vista_search/
>
> Some say that Windows will become irrelevant anyway (in its current
> form)...
>
> Operating systems are old and busted
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | But Stanford professor Mendel Rosenblum believes virtualization may
> | be the guillotine that cuts the OS reign down to size.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/20/usenix_07_opening_keynote/
>

> Related:
>
> Gears of War
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The new Google product that could augur the death of Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://www.slate.com/id/2168419/nav/tap3/rss

See, didn't I tell you all, that's the way we have got to go. It doesn't
replace everything, but in time it should make the OS on the PC irrelevant.

Why would we want to do that? (I hear you ask). (I have huge ears).

Sorry that I have to say 'In the olden days', but, in the olden days when
all of the applications were on the UNIX server and the terminals were
nearly all dumb. Then maintenance of applications was easier (that is the
usual argument for this sort of thing, and true as it is it doesn't really
win bums on seats), much more important was that the user was not in any
way tied to a client. You could login the head branch in London today then
from a sub-branch in Scotland tomorrow from another terminal. Your desktop
hasn't changed in the slightest, same menus, same applications, same access
to your data.

That was many years ago and it worked extremely well, the communications of
cause was a science in it's own right and could never have coped with the
numbers we have now. But that's alright because the science of
communications has caught up so now we can get back to better systems.

That is what is important in this, that no one needs be tied to any client
whether that is MS, Mac or Linux. It also means that the client itself as a
device is not necessarily a client as we currently know it.

I am not only talking of business either, the likes of WebSphere and Cognos
are heading us in that way anyway. But home users too. Little Tommy's PC
blows a gasket, dad nips down Tescos buys a little box (do we even need a
little box at all?), they connect to the net and login, then everything
that was present for the blown PC is there ready for them, including
Tommy's games.

All the client really needs is a means to be interactive and to allow some
degree off offline working, java is doing a very good job there, I don't
think java as it is now would be concidered a final step, but let's say for
now that it is, then why not let java be the only shell or OS on top of a
kernel that has an excelent proven track record. We all know one of those
kernels don't we.

I don't think this is the only direction computing should go, but I do think
that it has great possibilities.