Re: Microsoft "Protection" Good For Linux

____/ Robin T Cox on Thursday 21 June 2007 10:27 : \____

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:37:00 -0700, John Bailo wrote:
>
>> Oh, ok, get ready to flame me.
>>
>> But, thinking about it, if Linux ever hopes to make money for it's work.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be a good idea intially to sign up and at least get the cash
>> flow going back to the distro manufacturers?
>>
>> I mean, seriously, who is going to pay for Xandros and Beryl and all the
>> rest if there isn't some entity that can lay claim to a license and
>> charge the consumer?
>>
>> How long will it be before Ubuntu can command the superior price for
>> what it delivers?
>>
>> Look at Apple -- they are basically selling a superior OS(X) and getting
>> away with it!   People like OSX and appreciate it's more stable and
>> congruent.
>>
>> In a perfect world, Linux would be worth 3x either.
>>
>> But it's not perfect.
>
> In this imperfect world, there are people who would like to charge us for
> breathing fresh air. And, to be sure, there are those who believe that
> everything and everyone has their price.
>
> For the rest of us, however, the best things in life are free, and I
> believe we should fight to keep them that way.

Well said. The coordinated fight against YouTube and online literature is
another fine example.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: just set it and forget about it
Tasks:  96 total,   1 running,  95 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie