Re: curious case of the missing word ..

____/ [H]omer on Thursday 21 June 2007 04:06 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that owl spake thusly:
>> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> This is an old article now, and the original complaint PDF seems to
>>> have disappeared. If anyone has a copy I'd appreciate seeing it.
>>>

>> Although "dhs_030827.pdf" is the file that is now 404, this appears
>> to be the same:
>>
>> http://www.ccianet.org/docs/filings/procurement/dhs_procurment.pdf
>
> That's the one. Good find, thanks.
>
>> (dated August 27, 2003).
>>
>> The complaint mentions "[Microsoft as] preferred provider" and "heavy
>> reliance [on Microsoft software]" and does not mention that the DHS
>> decision was to use Microsoft software "exclusively", so maybe the
>> retraction of that term in the article was a justified correction.
>> That is, unless it is true that the DHS decision stated or implied
>> that Microsoft software would be used exclusively.
>
> That was what I wanted to check, although there is still no conclusive
> evidence one way or the other. Pity.
>
>> It's funny to see the guy from ACT foaming:
>>
>> "CCIA's concerns are not based on good security or public policy, but
>>  business opportunities for the horde of Microsoft competitors it
>> represents.To benefit its member companies like Oracle and Sun, CCIA
>> repeatedly has attempted to hobble Microsoft using the political
>> process here and abroad. This is just more of the same."
>
> 'In his letter, Black noted that the CCIA has recently pointed out in
> submissions to the Bush administration and Congress that there are
> "dangers of relying on single suppliers for information technology"'.
>
> Well that was a waste of time. That's like asking the Pope to renounce
> Catholicism. Dubya will never betray his fellow Klan members, will he?
>
>> Oracle is an ACT member too.
>
> So's eBay, apparently. The whole organisation is nothing but a fake
> grassroots lobbying front for Microsoft.

We should really set up some Wiki with names of organisations that are serving
Microsoft's interests, with evidence to support this. I have lost count on how
many organisations are fed by the Microsoft umbilical cord. See what Lessig
said yesterday... corruption all over the place, with emphasis on the UK, the
US, and Japan.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useful fact: close elevator button = Express Mode
 05:05:01 up 4 days, 10:33,  5 users,  load average: 1.86, 2.31, 2.19