[News] Microsoft Abuses Monopoly Power by Charging Access Royalties

The value of regulation in a monopoly market

| Why did the EC order Microsoft to disclose its protocols to rivals?
|
| Because it had misused its monopoly position to illegally maintain a
| dominant position in the market.
|
| In order to remedy that situation, the EC has an obligation to ensure
| that the interoperability information is available to everyone at a
| fair price.
|
| In order to do this, in my view, it cannot leave the market to decide
| the value of Microsoft?s protocols (although a third party group could
| be argued for).
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/03/the_value_of_re.html

As I said previously, Microsoft paid Novell to swallow a bug (admission of
unfounded guilt). Based on the fact that the story below was /advertised/ by
Microsoft, I suspect they did the same in this case. Maybe they even did so
behind the scenes, just as they engage in extortion methods with large
business, based on Jeremy Allison's word.

They stubbornly try to put a price tag on Free software, Samba included. They
are determined to pay whoever is in need of money (e.g. the stagnating
Novell) to establish legal precedence and build fences. Bad, bad, bad.

Related:

Microsoft lands first licensee in EU protocol program

,----[ Quote ]
| The program, which stems from the European Commission's historic
| March 2004 order, requires Microsoft to license its protocol
| technology at "reasonable and nondiscriminatory" terms. A goal
| of the program is to provide all licensees, even Microsoft rivals,
| with the ability to create server-based products that will
| interoperate with Microsoft's technology.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6165514.html

The "Kill Lotus Plan"

,----[ Quote ]