Re: [News] Top Man suspended for Criticising Failed NH(M)S Program That Wasted 12 Billion Pounds

> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 09 March 2007 03:29 \__

>>> NPfIT champion suspended after speaking out
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/08/folk_hero/
>>>
>>> This reminded me of the analyst who lost his job after criticising Windows
>>> for its poor security.
>>
>> This is a remarkable story.
>>
>> Following the link to the article detailing exactly *what* he said that
>> got him into so much hot water, I found the details quite shocking,
>> although rather amusing too. I shouldn't really be amused though, since
>> that's my taxpayer's money getting flushed down the toilet.
>>
>> He variously described the project as (paraphrasing somewhat) "a
>> racehorse that turned out to be a camel", "a sinking ship", "a man
>> walking on a tightrope", "a vacuum", "a chasm", a project that "isn't
>> working, and it isn't going to work", "coming apart", and "desperate to
>> get something in and make it work".
>>
>> Then Fujitsu says "Rollerson's remarks have been misinterpreted. Pushing
>> the English language almost to breaking point".
>>
>> ROTFL!
>>
>> Yes, I'm sure we all misinterpreted the meaning of the sinking ship
>> analogy. LOL! Looks like the only thing "at breaking point" is Fujitsu
>> ... and the taxpayers' patience.
>
> Maybe it was very deliberate. He left no room for misinterpretation.

I'm quite sure that it was deliberate.  I suspect it was because he was
rather naively hoping that the whole thing could be turned around.  The
fact is that, in spite of the references to the space programme, this
project is far more complex, with far more dependencies and way more
internal politics involved, and is never likely to be successful.  It's
fantastic for the companies involved because they get to trouser a load
of cash and probably won't need to deliver anything in the end anyway.

Lucky them...